Difference between La Pavoni Europiccola generations

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Alslaw

#1: Post by Alslaw »

Did La Pavoni ever manufacture the LPE with a first gen group and a double switch base? I thought they had the first gen group until 1974, and they moved from the toggle to the rocker switch in 1973, but didn't move to the double switch until 1978. Am I wrong?
LMWDP # 606

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep.htm

Francesco has all those answers.

Advertisement
Alslaw (original poster)

#3: Post by Alslaw (original poster) »

Thanks ... I was basing my information on Francesco (for the most part), but I have seen a couple of these first gen groups with double switch bases. I just wasn't sure if that was some incredibly rare manufactured variation or it it was done aftermarket. Sounds like you agree with me tho ... unless I am missing something on Francesco's site.
LMWDP # 606

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm »

I think some people may not like the always on or the switch fails. I absolutely love the sound and feel of the gen 1 switch. I take francesco as the pavoni bible. I have had a few gen 1's but no double switches. Do you have pictures of one?

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Not aware of any early dual switch LPE but there were two similar makes \ models from other vendors.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_olympia_eng.htm

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... la_eng.htm

I added a three way toggle switch with off option to early LPE with only the 2 way lo \ hi toggle switch. 1st Gen La Pavoni Europiccola with 3 way toggle These are 3 way on a single switch with oem round vs rectangular cutout on base. No further cutting required which allows for backward compatibility.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

The one now listed in eBay has a crookedly mounted replacement switch and a part rubber base from an early second generation model.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Alslaw (original poster)

#7: Post by Alslaw (original poster) replying to drgary »

That would be the one I'm referring to. Although this is the second one I have seen in the last few months (the first was on eBay-Italy). I noticed the crooked switch, but wasn't sure if it was just loose or something. I actually asked the seller, and he told me that his parents bought the machine in the 1970s and he couldn't imagine that they would have modified it.

I didn't know if there was some period where Pavoni found some old first gen groups and started placing them on two-switch bases. I have always been curious what the "rare" and sought after Pavoni machines are, and i thought perhaps a first gen with double switch would fit the bill!
LMWDP # 606

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I would be surprised if that's original. That's a version 1.6 by the serial number. The last first generation Europiccolas (versions 1.7 and 1.8) have a rocker switch with low, high and off positions. The first 2nd gen has the same switch. That type of double switch only appears two versions later.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!