Delay for Argos lever espresso machine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Shakespeare »

I have been thrilled watching the birth of a fabulous designed Argos Lever machine come to fruition.
And like all other investors quite amazed and happy with the price and savings for this lever machine.
I read the countless pages and posts on this website.
I was hoping with all of the investors, that it would be in April that an announcement of a upcoming delivery date would be forthcoming.

I was not totally surprised when it was announced that there would be delays in the final production and it's delivery.
As I could see that there was some details that needed to be investigated before it's release.
But I never expected a long list of unfinished items as long as was described in the newly created "checklist" I received by email, April, 2022.

https://www.odysseyespresso.com/launch-checklist

And it's expanded number of 'To Do' items and more: 'In Progress' listed items needed to be accomplished.

We all are supporting Ross Ainsworth's goal. We are here to help in any way, to further the finalization and creation
of the potentially game changing machine.

I'm just surprised that there wasn't dissatisfaction shared when this "checklist' was created.
I was expecting a final delivery date to be announced, instead of a delay caused by an additional list of incomplete items

I have read on other posts, many individuals sharing their opinions, outrage, support, help, assistance and complaints about the vast world of coffee.

Am I the only one surprised, there has been just a few opinions shared regarding this extended delay of the Argos delivery and our altered expectations/??

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by TenLayers »

My only surprise came when it was revealed that Ross still had his day job. I would have thought the revenues from the Argos would be enticement to go full time on it. Of course I'm saying this without any knowledge of other factors.

Creed132

#3: Post by Creed132 »

Agree, certainly not surprised by the delay but a little disappointed reading the items on the checklist and realizing that any delays and we may be looking at end of year or early next year (hopefully I'm wrong and Ross is right with his we estimate).

I think the lack of uproar is because we all knew this was likely how things were going to go when we preordered a machine that was clearly still in development from a new company in the midst of a pandemic with larger companies struggling with supply chain issues. I can't wait to get my hands on my Argos, but I treated this like supporting a Kickstarter campaign and expected delays from the beginning. In the meantime, maybe this will be the motivation I need to go ahead and order that DE1Pro that I've been debating purchasing for the last 6 months :wink:

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Expectations are just that.

On "the list", I greatly appreciate an honest list over aggressive marketing masquerading as transparency.
★ Helpful

palica

#5: Post by palica replying to Jeff »

100% agreed. When you decide to buy from a Startup company, you need to be prepared for that. If you can not live with delays or unexpected issues, the best is probably to buy from a well established company, but of course, you may miss something.
I received the email from Ross and I took it differently: I have seen honesty and willing to deliver a product that is up to customer's expectation. I think it is much better than delivering on time a product that is not ready or with quality issues. And also, because of this delay, you have a much longer warranty, which is really an excellent move from Ross (which does have a cost, too).
In its market, the Argos is pretty alone at its price tag. It may generate frustration to wait but on the other hand, there is no other product on the market with similar specs in this price range, so it leaves you with 1choice if your budget is tight: you wait.
I love the Argos on the paper, and I will most probably buy one, but I will wait from end users review before signing. Of course, it will be more expensive and I will have to wait longer, but I am OK with my decision. Maybe it is important to think and analyse for a few minutes before taking a buying decision from a start-up if you can not accept delays.

mathof

#6: Post by mathof »

Development takes time. How long has it been since the Londinium Compact was first announced? I'm pretty confident that it will be worth the wait for both of these machines.

ramassen

#7: Post by ramassen »

i knew that the Argos was in development when I ordered and understand the process having been through it many times myself. What I appreciate about Ross is that he is willing to take the time needed to make a quality machine and deliver a quality product instead of compromising to rush it out.

Regarding his day job. Not quitting his job and diverting money to himself instead of the machine shows me his integrity and dedication. Those of us that supported his dream early on with seed money will end up with a great machine and Ross will have a company that can grown and provide us with quality products for years to come.

Roy

bgn

#8: Post by bgn »

mathof wrote:Development takes time. How long has it been since the Londinium Compact was first announced? I'm pretty confident that it will be worth the wait for both of these machines.
I have no outrage for the delays. But if the new compact Londinium all of a sudden pops up for sale and immediate delivery before my Argos is ready I may pick one up to play with while I wait for the Argos. Not holding my breath though.

Shakespeare (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Shakespeare (original poster) »

bgn wrote:I have no outrage for the delays. But if the new compact Londinium all of a sudden pops up for sale and immediate delivery before my Argos is ready I may pick one up to play with while I wait for the Argos. Not holding my breath though.
To provide an update on the 'Tiny/Compact Londinium"

I received a communication today from Londinium and it has some contextual updates in understanding the positioning of the new compact Londinium Lever.
hi robert

however much you are annoyed by the delays i feel it exponentially more - i think we have had this under proposal since 2016

i am hopeful we will finalised the group at the end of this month; when that happens the project will proceed quickly, both because of the design of the machine and also because what remains is fairly straightforward and the components we have already sourced. for example we have the heating element, the boiler has been made, the seals we have, so it will only be the finalisation of the metal fabrication, which is all in house

ironically we could have had the group finished perhaps this time last year if we had given the job of forging the group to an italian foundry, but i feel it is important to make this machine in england, even more so now given the state of world events, and so we are having to go a little slower

on the flip side, if we'd done it any quicker the armchair generals at HB would have said we had rushed it, and we cant have that can we :) ?
happily the USD is moving in the right direction!

Kind regards
Reiss Gunson
Londinium Espresso

exidrion

#10: Post by exidrion »

I'll have him know my armchair is exceptionally comfortable! :lol: