Decals for Faema President lever espresso machine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dmccallum

#1: Post by dmccallum »

My decal workings can be downloaded here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Xvx ... TQwMG5UZHc.

The image is spot on for my president (there's also a single-group but single-layer image file included that came to me from another source), but I had to park the activity before I had a chance to put the image to glass and haven't yet come back to it. You'll need a certain amount of GIMP knowledge and would need to install a CMYK plugin if you wanted to create an additional print file over those I've provided.

Two options, 1 use one of the CMYK images to print a reverse film that can be mounted behind the glass, or 2 use each of the isolated color images and go the screenprint route, applying each color in the order below to arrive at the final.

I haven't explored the practicalities of either option yet but know of people who have had professional screen printers do it. They should be able to take the file and do this for you.

If you do take it further please do feedback your experience.

...split from Bought 1960 Faema President lever machine, need help! by moderator...

LaCrema

#2: Post by LaCrema »

Derek that looks amazing! I want to do the same thing for my LaCimbali M15 and LaCimbali Junior but have no idea how to do that or where to start. The decals on my Junior are in near perfect condition and could be scanned for reproduction, it would be nice to have an extra set for the Junior I'm refurbishing for my friend as it's branded as Pasquini rather than LaCimbali. Do you have any good advice for guys like me that might want to find someone who can replicate stuff like that?
"Outside the box Barista."

dominico
Team HB

#3: Post by dominico »

Thanks for posting this, you've been a great help to those of us getting our lovely Presidents back to their original aesthetic.
http://bit.ly/29dgjDW
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

I don't own a President but appreciate good work when I see it. Nicely done.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Paolo

#5: Post by Paolo »

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

It is fabulous that you are so willing to share....

TsurTriger

#6: Post by TsurTriger »

WOW
You rock!
Thank you very much.

dmccallum (original poster)

#7: Post by dmccallum (original poster) »

LaCrema wrote:I want to do the same thing for my LaCimbali M15 and LaCimbali Junior but have no idea how to do that or where to start. The decals on my Junior are in near perfect condition and could be scanned for reproduction, it would be nice to have an extra set for the Junior I'm refurbishing for my friend as it's branded as Pasquini rather than LaCimbali. Do you have any good advice for guys like me that might want to find someone who can replicate stuff like that?
To expand on this, I have used the free GIMP Graphics Editor to create this. If you're not familiar with it then it is straightforward to install - just takes some time to learn how to use it in a reasonably disciplined way (ie separating colors into their own layers for a start). YouTube have a lot of vids on the topic.
If you're recreating a graphic then suggest working with a pair of calipers to pick out the exact dimensions off your original and recreate in the default 1:1 scale in GIMP. The resulting file will print out true to scale.

If you plan to print in color to a film transfer then you'll also have to install a Gimp CMYK plugin. Separate+ is the best one and it's necessary to do this so as to convert the RGB color as displayed on your screen to a CMYK color scheme (as per cartridges in the average inkjet).

If you're doing screenprinting then the approach would be to print each layer in black to a clear film (no need for CMYK plugin). The films are then used to transfer the layers pattern during UV exposure to a screen before washing out and applying ink via each screen in sequence to the glass. This is the traditional manual way to screenprint and there may be more modern techniques, but this is about where my knowledge on the topic stops. It gets quite technical so a professional screenprinter should be consulted. I understand screen printers typically use the Pantone color range, you'd have to select colors from this or whatever it is they use.

I would like to try screenprinting and do it myself when I get the time and as I say unless I pick it up first, if anybody progresses to getting an image to glass then do feedback.

dmccallum (original poster)

#8: Post by dmccallum (original poster) »

A thought I've had and one for Team HB?

Any reasonable condition decal if placed on a scanner could be recorded to tiff,jpg or pdf true to scale and made available for others to print directly from or recreate with a graphics editor.

Just thinking of all the different Faema artwork out there if that could be gathered/submitted to a folder here on HB ?

LaCrema

#9: Post by LaCrema » replying to dmccallum »

That's an excellent idea Derek! I personally don't mind removing body panels and scanning decals in an effort to preserve these machines. As these older machines are becoming rare, it becomes extremely difficult to find prime examples of the artwork and general labels used on these vintage machines. If the scans are utilized for preservation purposes and not for profit, are there any potential issues with that? In my own opinion, taking a "picture" of something and openly sharing it doesn't seem to be an issue, otherwise social media sites would be a legal mess.

I almost for got, Thank You Derek for explaining the process of replicating decals/artwork. Once I finish up some of my projects I think I'm going to start looking into this stuff. :)
"Outside the box Barista."

Piperjoe

#10: Post by Piperjoe »

dmccallum wrote:My decal workings are on dropbox at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145 ... 0Decal.zip.

The image is spot on for my president (there's also a single-group but single-layer image file included that came to me from another source), but I had to park the activity before I had a chance to put the image to glass and haven't yet come back to it.

Two options, 1 use one of the CMYK images to print a reverse film that can be mounted behind the glass, or 2 use each of the isolated color images and go the screenprint route, applying each color in the order below to arrive at the final.

<image>

Hi Derek,

I will let you know which route i go with and keep everyone updated once completed.

As far as a Thank you, i think that everyone on the HB forum has said it already.
But Thank you again. Amazing !!!