CT2 shot volumes...

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Davi-L

#1: Post by Davi-L »

I've just started using Strietman's CT2 and I can not figure out how to make a longer shot.

My full stroke lever pulls are 39g and about 40 ml.
A bit too long for me, but family want longer pours.

I use 16g of dark roast in the 18g basket. No more will fit or the puck touches the shower screen and I have trouble mounting the portafilter.
Maybe I have reached the limit of the machine?

Any suggestions?

Dave

Amberale

#2: Post by Amberale »

Just add water to their shots Dave.
This is how I have most of my coffee with a splash of milk.
If you extract much more (via a Fellini maneuver) you are more likely to increase the bitterness.
★ Helpful

RyanP

#3: Post by RyanP »

Davi-L wrote:I've just started using Strietman's CT2 and I can not figure out how to make a longer shot.

My full stroke lever pulls are 39g and about 40 ml.
A bit too long for me, but family want longer pours.

I use 16g of dark roast in the 18g basket. No more will fit or the puck touches the shower screen and I have trouble mounting the portafilter.
Maybe I have reached the limit of the machine?

Any suggestions?

Dave
When you bring the lever up do you wait before pressing down? If you're not already, make sure to raise slowly and then wait a few seconds at the top keeping the piston hole open so that you can allow as much water as possible to pass through.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

And don't do Fellini on the Strietman as you'll pull coffee in the group. Wouter strongly advices not to do it. And you indeed don't need more than 39gr of liquid on 18gr of coffee as you'll start to overextract and adding water will give you much better tasting coffee.

Davi-L (original poster)

#5: Post by Davi-L (original poster) »

I have just realized my family 'likes' extended over-extracted shots. Easy to do with a pump machine. When I visit them I try to snatch my cup away before the pour is too tall.
So I'm all set with the CT2 and just need to keep myself happy.
Thanks,
D.

RafalD

#6: Post by RafalD »

less coffee in basket will give You more liquid in cup :):)