Cremina blowing GFCI?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mogogear

#1: Post by mogogear »

My rebuilding of the twins, I first needed to assemble the 81. the one needing a boiler repair-(I think) so I could actually pinpoint said possible leaks. I intended to power it up with water ( keep pressure at a minumum) and mark the leaks for the brazing repair person.

When I first took the Creminas apart , I noted the simple wiring diagram you see below. It was noted as it was in place when the machines arrived. The positions noted are observed and may not be correct.

So When I plug it in and hit the switch- Trips the circuit breaker on the outlet.

I took the temp / switch loose from the bottom of the element just in case it was grounding out the power- I did leave it hooked up to the wires - Still pops the GFCI.

Soooooo, Wired wrong? bad switch? I am open to thoughts. The switch is the newer style with prongs as they are marked.

Thanks for the input
[/img]
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Paul

#2: Post by Paul »

quick q mogo, from your drawing is the red line from pstat going to ground? It should go to element terminal shared with grey wire.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

mogogear (original poster)

#3: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

No, the point where the pstat hooks up to the element area is to the temperature circuit breaker. IThe resettable breaker has three terminals=it has a ground connection, the lead from the P-stat ,and the other terminal completes the circuit to the element.

Further note , I have taken the main on / off switch apart and it looks very OK!!

I have also replaced all blade terminal in case they were not making good clean connections.

I have re-read the wiring description in the original Steve Roboinson Cremina restoration thread where he checks wiring out with Olypuller..

I am missing something.......... but all looks right? But is not...
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Paul

#4: Post by Paul »

Hows about the continuity between the terminals of the resettable temp breaker? If you have continuity thru to ground you'd have the same symptom.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

#5: Post by mogogear (original poster) replying to Paul »

I'll double check it again , but I did actually remove the breaker from the element housing (
ground wire is actually attached to the holddown clamp- there by grounding the boiler/ element) pstat wire and element wire hooked up and laid in on counter - then flipped the switch again- same result- tripped!

Also- The LED in the switch and the status light all "blink on" for the instant before the cisrcuit trips.

Thank you and please continue if you see anything else!!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Paul

#6: Post by Paul »

If it were me . . .

disconnect element terminals and put multimeter across the wires feeding it. There should be no cont between them. If there is, work backwards. remove temp breaker from circuit and repeat test (element lead + wire from pstat). Repeat if necessary removing pstat from circuit.

(all of course with the machine unplugged ;))
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

The heating element is burned out.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#8: Post by mogogear (original poster) replying to peacecup »

My Ohm meter is broken so I need to hop to the store and go buy me another... but after thinking on Pauls ideas and doing the following:

I even tried to switch on, with the P-stat manually open enough to trip the micro switch- this give the effect of full pressure and there by interupt power to the element. I was then hoping I could cause the trip by "depressuring the P-stat" by letting go and then cause the trip- Nope, it tripped even with the micro switch"kind of-pressurized"!!

I then switched wiring harnesses between the two machines to omit and unseen pinches etc...no difference

The only other place I can logically think a short to ground could occur was at the micro switch if it internally shorted against the down tube and bellows- I removed the switch, held it closed in ia nsulated clamp( power interupted) -- Dag Nabbit!!!!- it still tripped :twisted:

So...... Peacecup- I am falling into your train of thought- even though in my mind- I have seen the element- and it sure didn't give any external clues. That Book vs Cover thing I suppose.

All my past experience with elements have been to get no power / or heat as opposed to tripping a circuit breaker!!

But you know , I think I have about eliminated everything else - I think..... :oops: So unless I hear anything else enlightening, I will swap elements from the two boilers and .........hold my breath.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

bill
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by bill »

Mo,
I'm confused which c.b. is tripping. Is it the one in the breaker panel feeding the outlet? You also mentioned the GFCI was tripping?
Have you taken the high temperature thermostat out of the circuit and tried it? My guess is that's the culprit. Or if only the GFCI is tripping then it's probably a bad element. GFCIs trip on just a few milliamps of current so a little leakage to ground in the element would do it.
Wish you had your ohmmeter!
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

#10: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

The mystery is solved- Peacecup gets the prize. Bad element.
Paul the GFCI was tripping. The Over temp breaker on the machine was OK. I did eliminate it. Still had the problem.
So I add to my Olympia parts order... new element, site glass, maybe lever fork, on and on- Oh well that what projects are for-

For what its worth Portland just set an all time rainfall record for the month of November ( and we are done yet) 11.7 " rain. :shock:

We will see how much more we do till December.!! :evil:

Thanks to all for your help brainstorming( I am sure more is around the corner!)
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067