Cremina 67 Piston Seal Jiffy Lube

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
timo888

#1: Post by timo888 »

This cute little bugger is just the thing for a quick lube of the Cremina 67's piston seals:

I noticed that the four holes in the piston ( :?: vacuum breakers :?:) were a little clogged with mineral deposits. Cleaned them out with a pin.

Spread some Taylor lubricant [see note below] on the seals and put the piston back into the group bell. Sm-o-o-o-o-th.

NOTE: 29 May 2006: According to a posting by Bob Craige, the Olympia Factory recommends Dow Corning Lubricant 111 and advises against other types of lubricant. Timo888

srobinson

#2: Post by srobinson »

Those little holes help those gaskets "jellyfish." Expand in one direction and contract in the other. With new gaskets you can really tell the action...quite unique.
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

slooowr6

#3: Post by slooowr6 »

Hi,
Any pointer to where I can order Taylor lubricant? I tried to find a place to get it online but can't find one. I also tried find Bel-Ray no-tox but still came up with nothing.

Thx
Alex

timo888 (original poster)

#4: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

Bel-Ray doesn't sell retail AFAIK. They make the grease. I had to drive 40 minutes to find a place that sells and services ice cream equipment. You might try looking for a company in your area that services the frozen custard equipment used at the local Dairy Queen. They might be willing to sell you a single tube.
Regards
Timo

slooowr6

#5: Post by slooowr6 »

:(
Found this one http://www.instawares.com/DXP-GREASE.DXP-GREASE.0.7.htm. Not sure if it's the same thing.

#6: Post by timo888 (original poster) replying to slooowr6 »

"Taylor Lube HP ... is rebranded Bel-Ray Clear Grease 1.5 HP. This product is white mineral oil based aluminum complex grease...."

The above is what Bel-Ray sent to me when I asked about it. The grease at your URL is #2. Also, you want to make sure it is no-melt, for the boiling-water temperatures. I think you will have more luck searching for an ice-cream-equipment or food-equipment servicing organization and going there in person than in shopping on the internet. The tube I bought weighs 4oz and has enough grease to last for a decade. It cost me around $3 -- plus $5.50 gas for the roundtrip, but that was back in the day when gas cost a mere $2.70 / gallon.

Regards
Timo

#7: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

RECOMMENDED BY THE OLYMPIA FACTORY:

NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE OLYMPIA FACTORY (though the Bel-Ray company who makes this for Taylor offers the assurance that their grease won't cause the o-rings to deteriorate):

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Slooowr6, where are you located?

I just happen to have a hundred or so tubes of the Taylor lube HP. The company I work for is a restaurant supply company. I am the chief keyboard jockey (IT manager). I have used this on my lever and gotten it for others. If you are in the states, I will extend the offer to you as well. If memory serves, a tube is about $3.00 plus postage to send it out unless you happen to be in Ohio. One tube will do about 10,000 machines. It only takes a drop.
Dave Stephens

slooowr6

#9: Post by slooowr6 »

cannonfodder wrote:Slooowr6, where are you located?

I just happen to have a hundred or so tubes of the Taylor lube HP. The company I work for is a restaurant supply company. I am the chief keyboard jockey (IT manager). I have used this on my lever and gotten it for others. If you are in the states, I will extend the offer to you as well. If memory serves, a tube is about $3.00 plus postage to send it out unless you happen to be in Ohio. One tube will do about 10,000 machines. It only take a drop.
That's great!!
I'm in California. Do u take paypal? Or you prefer MO. Let me know.
Thanks much!
Alex :D

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

I will try to double check the price tomorrow at work. I am pretty busy this week. I am retiring my definite G3 PBX and putting in a new VOIP :shock: (big phone system). The work starts tomorrow.

I do have a pay pal account. PM me your email and mailing address and I will get back to you with my cost.

Dave
Dave Stephens