Cremina 67 Piston Seal Jiffy Lube - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
slooowr6

#11: Post by slooowr6 »

cannonfodder wrote:I am pretty busy this week. I am retiring my definite G3 PBX and putting in a new VOIP :shock: (big phone system). The work starts tomorrow.
Dave
PM sent. VoIP is the way to go, you are going Avaya or Cisco?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

Batteries are about dead on the laptop. Going with Avaya. My PRI will not be installed for another week so I will have to cut my T1 until the new line arrives.

It is a company wide move that I started a couple of years ago. Main system is in our NJ datacenter with self supporting units in all 8 of our offices. The integrated messaging and virtual PC phone will be nice. No more Octel and voice bridge to break. The T to PRI will save me a bundle per month as well.
Dave Stephens

chopinhauer

#13: Post by chopinhauer »

Hey Cannonfodder, would I also be able to get a tube of that lube for my pavoni europiccola sent to australia. I just can't find the appropriate lube here.

Naturally I'd pay the postage etc.
LMWDP #027

timo888 (original poster)

#14: Post by timo888 (original poster) replying to chopinhauer »

To save cannonfodder the trouble and yourself some shipping costs, see if you can find INOX MX-6 (six not three) non-melt food-grade grease, if you're Down Under.

http://www.inox-mx3.com/inox.htm

Regards
Timo

cannonfodder
Team HB

#15: Post by cannonfodder »

If you can find it local, that would be best. I don't have a problem sending one to Australia, in fact we have an office in Sydney. But I do not know how customs would react, it may not make it out of the states. I have had that happen more than once.

Try any local restaurant supply company that will sell to the public. I would imagine they have something comparable. You could also try a deli (don't know what the Australian equivalent would be called) and see what they use to lubricate their meat slicer. That big 12" spinning blade has to be lubricated with something.
Dave Stephens

chopinhauer

#16: Post by chopinhauer »

Thanks Timmo, took your advice and found a local bulk supplier who was kind enough to accept an order over the phone for just one tube of the grease you suggested. So finally, I have the lube situation sorted, something I have been trying to do for years (I once put the wrong lube in and stunk up my machine and coffee for months!!!.

I'm really no expert on servicing pavonis, and I just use the grease, in the context of my machinei, for putting the piston seals on. Is there anything else I could, or should, use the grease for when I do maintenance on the europiccola?

thanks
LMWDP #027

#17: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

You're a Pavoni expert compared to me. With the grease, remember, a little dab goes a long way.
Regards
Timo

Huskyfox

#18: Post by Huskyfox »

I have been using this lube I got from espressoparts.com http://www.espressoparts.com/product/PET

However it doesn't seem to be holding up to the boiling temp of the La Peppina i'm using it on. Would one of these you guys have been talking about do the job? If so, Cannonfodder, would you mind selling me a tube? Or otherwise pointing me in the right direction? I went looking, but mainly just found companies who made Food Grade lubes and don't sell retail. I'm in MA, and have Paypal. Thanks!

#19: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

Huskyfox wrote:I have been using this lube I got from espressoparts.com http://www.espressoparts.com/product/PET

However it doesn't seem to be holding up to the boiling temp of the La Peppina i'm using it on. Would one of these you guys have been talking about do the job?
The melting point of Petrol Gel (see URL above) is 195F. That is why it is not holding up. It is being exposed to higher temperatures than it is rated for. Use Dow111 instead.

BTW, I advise against steaming with Peppina or even allowing the machine to reach a full boil-- a lot of heat is conducted to the piston chamber and out to the group. This can cause the o-ring on the piston and the two one-way washers to perish.

Regards
Timo

Huskyfox

#20: Post by Huskyfox »

Thanks. Most of these are for "incidental contact" with food, is that alright for this application? The walls of the cylinder are coated with this grease, which means that every shot has water coming in contact with it, so it's more like persistent contact. Incidental is more like when a ice cream machine uses this lube and on rare occasion the food could contact the lube, but it's known to not cause health issues with so little contact.