Cooler Pavoni shots

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Fullsack

#1: Post by Fullsack »

I prefer to pull cooler espresso shots, 197 degrees, as opposed to the conventional 204 degrees. What works for me is filling the boiler well below the fill line, away from the grouphead. This keeps the grouphead cooler, and has the added advantage of a faster machine warm-up with less water. Following that, I turn-off the machine, as soon as it builds enough pressure to release the false pressure.

The remainder of my procedure is much the same as has been discussed often in this form.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams
★ Helpful

Fullsack (original poster)

#2: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

To produce warmer shots with this technique, do a "warming flush," flush water through the group until it gets the group to a temperature you like. Filling an espresso cup, with the warming flush, gets the group to a temperature I like.
LMWDP #017

jpaulm

#3: Post by jpaulm »

Or you can "pump" the lever - lift up and down, but not all the way, so you are not actually losing any water. This will circulate hot water from the boiler into the grouphead and have the same warming effect.

ihor

#4: Post by ihor »

Or install a Bong isolator [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... =emb_title[/youtube]

Fullsack (original poster)

#5: Post by Fullsack (original poster) replying to ihor »

Thanks.
Looks like an excellent mod, but for now, the temp surfing is working fine for me
LMWDP #017

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Doug was the inspiration behind a thread I created long ago about pulling consistent, consecutive shots on a La Pavoni with few or minimal modifications.

Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!