Conti Prestina: what is the "9 bar group?"

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
realdoctor

#1: Post by realdoctor »

Conti offers two current versions of the Prestina-type group as replacement assays on their parts site. One is listed as the group with no further specification. The other is listed as "9 bar" group. There is a small difference in price between the two.

Does anyone know the difference between the two groups? My guess is that the group with no pressure specification has a softer spring, but that's purely a guess.

Thanks!

Jim

mikel

#2: Post by mikel »

Hi Jim,
I'd guess the spring is the only difference?
There's the normal spring (200600) and 9-bar spring (2006001).
I've been very happy with the original spring, and haven't tried the 9-bar yet.

espressotime

#3: Post by espressotime »

realdoctor wrote:Conti offers two current versions of the Prestina-type group as replacement assays on their parts site. One is listed as the group with no further specification. The other is listed as "9 bar" group. There is a small difference in price between the two.

Does anyone know the difference between the two groups? My guess is that the group with no pressure specification has a softer spring, but that's purely a guess.

Thanks!

Jim
They still make these new?
I don't see anything on their website.

espressotime

#4: Post by espressotime »

Found it.
Different name.
https://www.conti-espresso.com/our-products/cc100-pm/

My guess one is a single spring and the other a two spring group.
I like the lower pressure shots more myself.

Paolo

#5: Post by Paolo »

The 9bar option is a heavier spring. It was a much-welcomed swap in my Prestina.

It was explained to me by someone in the know that the softer spring was mainly used in times gone by in locations around the world that had predominantly Robusta coffees.

Of course.... you can manually assist the softer spring or retard the 9bar spring during the shot by manipulating the lever a tad.

realdoctor (original poster)

#6: Post by realdoctor (original poster) »

Thanks! I have the old cast brass group and it has had one crack repaired. I am thinking about replacing it if another crack has to be brazed and was checking options with Conti's site.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I'm enjoying this thread and am happy to see that I can order directly from Conti if needed. Here is the link for ordering spare parts for the lever group.

https://www.conti-spareparts.com/Site/index.php

Their spare parts site is difficult to navigate. I couldn't find a listing for the CC100 lever version. I found the lever parts for their PMS Evolution under Group Head, which when selected offered Manual Group Head.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!