Conti Prestina Dosing Suggestions

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tillamook

#1: Post by Tillamook »

I am in the experimental stages with my new to me Conti Prestina. Everything including the spring is new and working perfectly. It is also maintaining very stable temperature. I have MANY different sizes of 58mm portafilter baskets for this machine.

I am looking for input from others who have this same group, and what they have found to be the sweet spot for dosing, and with which basket? I know I can eventually figure this out on my own, but I will go through ALOT of coffee to get there. Any help is appreciated

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

My standard dose is 18 gm. Let us know how it works for you!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mikel

#3: Post by mikel »

Similar to Dr Gary,18 grams. I use a IMS 20 gram basket.

Paolo

#4: Post by Paolo »

Does your Prestina have the standard 5Bar spring or the 9Bar spring?

I use 20 gms in an HQ double basket with great success.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

And of course I vary dose, grind and temperature for different coffees. I once measured my spring pressure to start at 8 bar. My spring was a replacement installed when I restored my Prestina and I only use it occasionally.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Tillamook (original poster)

#6: Post by Tillamook (original poster) »

Thank you all for the tips. I have tried various doses with different baskets after reading Dr Garys Prestina User Experiences post. Surprisingly I had not done 18 grams doses yet. I share the same conclusion that none of these experimental shots were undrinkable. Today after reading the recommendations of 18 grams, I tried it for the first time. I accidentally ground a little tighter than normal, but WOW it was almost perfect in taste. I dont want to speak too soon, but all I will say is if I can repeat it exactly the same, I could live with this shot happily ever after.

Tjyven

#7: Post by Tjyven »

Approximately how big output do you get from your Contis? Just discovered these machines and seems like everyone who has them are really satisfied!

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I don't have time to measure this morning, but it's a 58mm group, so output depends on how you dose and how long you preinfuse. Keep in mind that Conti makes a single group lever now with the same group. I was enjoying my Prestina this morning.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Tjyven

#9: Post by Tjyven »

Yes understand that preinfusion will play a part in this, just curious in what area you usually land. See some old 58mm that have problem coming over 30 grams and others do over 40 for example.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

I have no problems with small output. It's usually the opposite, and I often pull shots when they start to blond. Also with a spring lever you can do a preinfusion, start pulling the shot, fully cock the lever again near the top of the pull and release (called a Fellini but that might not be quite accurate to the film sequence). I rarely do that extra catch unless preinfusing with spring pressure on a fine grind.
Gary
LMWDP#308