Conti Lever - What year & which model ?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jmc

#1: Post by jmc »

First post.
A new purchase. I saw it on Ebay at a really low buy it now price, so I bought it. I have no idea when it was made or what model, but it has to be pretty old. Manual water fill and has a Penn pressurestat which, I think, was fitted well after manufacture.
After I finish my current project ( Aurora single lever - I'll post about it later) the Conti will be completely stripped, frame powder coated, everything descaled in citric, new seals etc.
If anyone can help with info on this machine I would be grateful.
John
John

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

If anyone can help with info on this machine I would be grateful.
I can take delivery of it in Karlstad, SE, of that is of any service... :roll:

That's a great-looking machine, and I know there are a couple of Conti owners on this forum who'll be able to help. We're looking forward to seeing the progress.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

mogogear

#3: Post by mogogear »

First- Welcome to HB!! and welcome to levers... looks like you have started off with a great machine - that might need some tinkering-- but it sure is pretty..Paul in New Zealand is pretty knowledgeable on these machines...I always liked the stirrup lever a lot
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

espressme

#4: Post by espressme »

Welcome and good pulls to you!
There is a great thread about a very similar machine on H-B by an expert!HERE
Enjoy the challenge and the success of rescuing a treasure!
Sincerely
Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

Paul

#5: Post by Paul »

hi John

Model - dunno sorry. It is the next latest one from the 'empress'. I'd put it at mid to late '60s. I think the factory shifted to Monaco in '65 so you can look at the mfr plate and see if it still gives the french address.

Parts - fwiw, conti don't sell piston seals for this anymore. The ones on offer are bigger, for the prestina model. Faema piston seals from coffeeparts.com.au will fit. The gr gasket is the same size as modern conti. I can't remember if the spring is interchangeable with faema or not. Valve seals you'll have to make yourself. I had some made at a local gasket cutting place for not much cash.

good luck and please post lots of pics.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#6: Post by orphanespresso »

Admiring your aquisition as well. I have the Dudley Riggs Empress which sold here in the US about 3 weeks ago. she is all now in parts, down to the last one, but for the inability to remove the boiler from the frame (rusted bolt and I have already broken and drilled one, and do not want a repeat, as I think I can paint the frame and poish the boiler without chancing another drill job).

Paul, thank you for posting so much information and photos, quite helpful, and encouraging. I have spent some time trying to remove the silver coloured plating from the copper boiler. What is that plating? Any idea of a simple way to remove it...abrasion works yes, but I do not want to thin the copper any more than it already is.
Good luck, and thanks again Paul.
Doug

Paul

#7: Post by Paul »

hi Doug,

I remember reading about that guy. Someone posted some history here (chazino p'haps?). A cool piece of history.

Plating on boilers is nickel I think. In my experience, most comes off in the citric soak. I use a little metal polish and a buffer on the rest.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#8: Post by orphanespresso »

Conti Empress Undressed....OK, about as many parts a a swiss watch, all clean and ready. Seems about time for the fun to begin.
Doug

jmc (original poster)

#9: Post by jmc (original poster) »

Hi,
I just received a reply from Patrick at Conti.
The machine is a "Princess" and was built about 1960.
Almost can't wait till I've finished the current project to start on this one.

John
John