Construction of a Bosco Sorrento

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman

#1: Post by IamOiman »

March 13, 2019 Edit: For those going through this thread I decided to add direct links to more interesting portions of the conversation after the initial pictures of the Bosco.

Bosco Crate and Workshop
My Bosco, photos taken by Roberta Bosco
My grinder selection
Discussion of draining Bosco boiler
Electrical Requirements of 110V Bosco

August 14, 2019 Edit: For the actual unboxing of the machine I have a separate thread here to complete the Bosco trilogy in Unboxing the Bosco Sorrento

Hello all,

This will be an interesting thread where I will be showing how a Bosco Lever Machine is produced. After deciding to purchase one, seen in this thread Considering Purchasing a 1 Group Bosco Sorrento, one of the requests I made to Roberta is to photograph the process of making my machine. The machine I ordered will be the Sorrento 1 Group with orange panelling and wooden knobs/grips. I also requested the boiler to be signed, inspired by H-B user bettysnephew.

Today, I have received the first two photos of the machine:

The frame and the boiler have been added together at this point along with the tube that connects the grouphead to the boiler

Typically, Bosco machines are produced over the course of one week according to Roberta, so I will be receiving photos everyday hopefully. I will be adding them to this post as time progress. Once the machine is complete, I will also document the factory itself as I will be picking it up directly from Napoli (My family lives nearby, though we are not Italian). If you have any questions I can also relay them to Roberta as well.

Personally I am very excited to see my machine progress towards completion as the rest of the parts and panelling are added!

Ryan
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Congratulations on your purchase and choosing of this magnificently wonderful machine.
I will be looking forward to your updates!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

IamOiman

#3: Post by IamOiman » replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Thank you

One of the biggest pros for purchasing this machine (compared to the US) is that I am buying this machine directly from Bosco since my family is so close to Napoli (20 mins by car). After discussing about pricing of various espresso machines here Best value for money prosumer lever espresso machine, I discovered that there are additional costs usually added from distributors, and that they are mandatory to purchase from if you are ~1000 miles or closer to them. This will add serious costs to the machine. One quote I saw that was particularly high was 5390$ without shipping for the base model Sorrento! I paid a little more than half that price after the adding pannelling and wooden accessories, which is a steal in comparison.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Talk about ''ground up!''
Jim Schulman

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

Ryan, I hope you fall in love with yours like I did mine.
- John

LMWDP # 577

bettysnephew

#6: Post by bettysnephew »

Congratulations! You are going to love that machine.

When you see Roberta tell her I am enjoying mine very day. :D

I am David from Iowa, USA
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

IamOiman

#7: Post by IamOiman »

bettysnephew wrote: When you see Roberta tell her I am enjoying mine very day. :D
I am David from Iowa, USA
I will tell her that. Coincidentelly my father's name is also David!
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

IamOiman

#8: Post by IamOiman »

Balthazar_B wrote:Ryan, I hope you fall in love with yours like I did mine.
I will be able to enjoy this machine for a very long time with my current age of 21. It will see shot numbers exceeding the uncountable...
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

IamOiman

#9: Post by IamOiman »

I have recieved two more photos this morning: Roberta has told me they fit the boiler with the frame to make any needed adjustments, then they cover the frame with a black protective coating and briefly take off the boiler in this process. Then they begin adding the front chrome panelling afterwards along with the water gauge and pressure gauge. Default knobs and steam wands are added for alignment testing as well.
ImageImage
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Madman13

#10: Post by Madman13 »

Amazing attention to detail. Hope they show some of the refinements they make to the group