Construction of a Bosco Sorrento - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#81: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

While looking at plumbed in methods for the Bosco, I noticed on their website that they have an 'Automatic boiler fill and water level control.' Does this mean the machine already has a rotary pump or would it simply help whatever method you attach to the 3/8" inlet whether it's something like a Flojet or attached rotary pump. Looking into similar machines like the Izzo Pompei I see they specifically mention it includes a rotary pump for boiler fill, so it may be this is a new feature for Bosco and I may not even need an external water pump! Any thoughts?

-Ryan
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by JohnB. »

It has a control box that opens a solenoid valve when the boiler needs water. The boiler fills at line pressure; no pump. It also has a manual fill valve which comes in handy. When I want to refresh the boiler water I wait for the machine to shut down (6pm), draw out a couple liters of water before the boiler pressure starts to fall & refill using the manual valve. If the control box fails at some point & it's not just a capacitor or relay I'll just remove the auto fill parts & go with the manual valve.

Did you have Bosco install a boiler drain valve?
LMWDP 267

Team HB

#83: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote: Did you have Bosco install a boiler drain valve?
Nope! Drain valves are standard now and I did not need to specifically request one.

So I can actually manually fill the machine if I wanted to?

-Ryan
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Balthazar_B

#84: Post by Balthazar_B »

IamOiman wrote:Nope! Drain valves are standard now and I did not need to specifically request one.
Nice. You saved a few euros.
You can, but it's a bit of a PITA, since you need to remove the drain trays. Letting autofill do its thing is a lot easier. As a matter of (OCD) habit, I glance at the water level window every morning to confirm nothing has gone sideways with the fill valve.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Team HB

#85: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Balthazar_B wrote:You can, but it's a bit of a PITA, since you need to remove the drain trays. Letting autofill do its thing is a lot easier. As a matter of (OCD) habit, I glance at the water level window every morning to confirm nothing has gone sideways with the fill valve.
Where exactly would I even insert the water on the machine when you remove the tray? Also, is the boiler drain activated by pulling the black knob on the front of the machine?

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Balthazar_B

#86: Post by Balthazar_B »

Ah, right you are. Sunday caffeine hadn't kicked in yet, and for some reason I was thinking of the valve under the driptray. I've used the manual fill exactly once, 18 months ago when I got my machine installed and was priming the boiler. That fill knob has become invisible to my perception. :)
- John

LMWDP # 577

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by JohnB. »

Balthazar_B wrote:

You can, but it's a bit of a PITA, since you need to remove the drain trays. Letting autofill do its thing is a lot easier. As a matter of (OCD) habit, I glance at the water level window every morning to confirm nothing has gone sideways with the fill valve.
Why would you need to remove the drain tray to use manual fill?? The knob is right in front & the sight glass is in plain sight. Couldn't be easier. Pull the knob out until it reaches max on the glass.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by JohnB. »

IamOiman wrote:Nope! Drain valves are standard now and I did not need to specifically request one.

-Ryan
That's a recent change. I believe David had to specify the drain valve as an option. Have you unpacked & looked at your machine yet??
LMWDP 267

Team HB

#89: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

I have not opened my crate (and will unfortunately not until next year!!), though I am partially basing this (I was told by Roberta they do this as well) by this photo sent by Roberta, which has a pipe that goes to the drip tray from the boiler

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#90: Post by JohnB. »

That would be the manual fill pipe, not a drain. David may have a photo of his drain valve.
LMWDP 267