Construction of a Bosco Sorrento - Page 12

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#111: Post by JohnB. »

It is a 120v single ph machine & will require a dedicated 20a circuit. The outlet would be a standard 20a 120v which accepts either a standard 15a plug or the 20a plug you described.
LMWDP 267

OldNuc

#112: Post by OldNuc »

The nominal wiring for most homes is 14 gauge wiring and 15A circuit breakers. Refrigerators, washers, gas dryers, 120v A/C, etc are usually setup with dedicated 20/25A feeds with appropriate circuit breakers. You should use a GFCI breaker and 10 - 2 w/gnd wiring. This provides a 25A capacity with some margin and low line voltage drop. Use the 5-20 outlets. Using #10 wire will generally require only a single outlet to each box which is a good idea so the circuit does not end up overloaded.
★ Helpful

Advertisement
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#113: Post by FotonDrv replying to OldNuc »

Good advice.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#114: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

OldNuc wrote:The nominal wiring for most homes is 14 gauge wiring and 15A circuit breakers. Refrigerators, washers, gas dryers, 120v A/C, etc are usually setup with dedicated 20/25A feeds with appropriate circuit breakers. You should use a GFCI breaker and 10 - 2 w/gnd wiring. This provides a 25A capacity with some margin and low line voltage drop. Use the 5-20 outlets. Using #10 wire will generally require only a single outlet to each box which is a good idea so the circuit does not end up overloaded.
Thanks for the info. My univsersity has dedicated 20A plugs for all of their electrical wiring, and GFCI added for all kitchen outlets. I guess this also means wherever I end up I will probably need to check if a dedicated 20A wiring with GFCI is needed to be installed for my machine.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#115: Post by OldNuc »

The usual problem is the installed wiring is built to some code that exited at the time of construction. In the not far distant past the duplex outlets were rated for 15A @ 120V 3 prong design and the attached wiring was #14-2 w/gnd. Previous to that it is all lower rated. The 20A 120v is more of a industrial requirement even now so it is always a requirement to check first.

As you will be installing this machine in the US, the age and location of your home will determine what batch of hoops you end up jumping through.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#116: Post by FotonDrv »

Having a 20A dedicated circuit is not all that important, but a 20A receptacle and 12-2/W ground (preferably with GFIC) is important. My entire kitchen is 12 gauge wiring and the big thing is don't put another heavy load item, like a microwave oven, on the same circuit or you will trip breakers.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#117: Post by JohnB. »

Ryan's Sorrento has a 2000W heating element so you really wouldn't want anything else running on that 20A circuit when the heating element is running.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#118: Post by FotonDrv replying to JohnB. »

That was my point. I have 3 ,20A ,circuits in my kitchen and I pay attention to whats running on each.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#119: Post by JohnB. replying to FotonDrv »

My point was that it really should be on a dedicated 20a circuit as there is nothing left over when it's running.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#120: Post by FotonDrv replying to JohnB. »

What's the voltage coming out of your 20A circuit?