Construction of a Bosco Sorrento - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bettysnephew

#11: Post by bettysnephew »

Madman13 wrote:Amazing attention to detail. Hope they show some of the refinements they make to the group
I don't think I would hold my breath waiting for that! :lol:
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Madman13

#12: Post by Madman13 replying to bettysnephew »

Haha, I'm sure you're right

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

Yes, that does seem unlikely. Nice to see that they have switched to black on the frame. Older versions like my 2011 Sorrento had an odd orangey red coating on the frame.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv »

Nice to see the build sequence, thanks for doing this.

Last time I was in Italy we stayed at Hotel Tennis but I was not shopping for espresso gear. Should have been shopping instead of dodging the drivers in Naples :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#15: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to FotonDrv »

Honestly as bad as the Neapolitans Drive, they are self aware of their bad driving. What this means is that they are extremely good at dodging and weaving amonst traffic. I have only seen three accidents in five years that I considered serious (ie heavy injruy/fatalies). One of my dad's Italian co-workers once said Italians were really good drivers. When pressed more about the subject he admitted it was because they could react so fast to random events. They literally train to anticipate the shoddy driving skills. In the US (like Worcester MA), many drivers that are bad either do not know or care, and often less so do not know how to handle events like sudden lane changing or no signals. I believe this is why Italy's driver fatality rate is half of the US :wink:
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#16: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

While we are waiting for the remaining photos, I am a little curious as to what people here think about what grinder would pair well with a Bosco. I have been looking at price ranges anywhere from a $300 to $2000
  • -Sette 270
    -Mazzer Mini A/B/E
    -Compak K10
    -Mahlkonig K30
    -Monolith
I ask current Bosco owners what they have paired with their machine and what they think of this combination! I am leaning towards a Mini E or K30 (if I scrounge up enough funds).
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Balthazar_B

#17: Post by Balthazar_B »

IMHO, save a little more and get a Monolith Flat or Conical depending on your bean preferences. It should be the last grinder you'll ever need or even lust after, assuming you want to take advantage of one-shot grinds. In the meantime, get a decent used grinder in excellent condition, which you should be able to resell for your approximate cost.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Team HB

#18: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Balthazar_B wrote:In the meantime, get a decent used grinder in excellent condition, which you should be able to resell for your approximate cost.
I've noticed the Mazzers always seem to have a high resell value, would that be a preferable choice for that step up? As of now I have a Lido E and a Virtuoso (used for non-espresso equipment). I also have access to subito.it (the Italian Craigslist) to purchase 230V grinders provided I use a step up transformer. I've seen Super Jolly's for 400 euro or less frequently. I think that would be a start

Typical Mazzers for sale in Italy https://www.subito.it/annunci-italia/ve ... e&q=mazzer
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

I use a K10 WBC & a K30 with my Bosco. Personally I prefer the K10.
LMWDP 267

drummy

#20: Post by drummy »

I would encourage you to keep high in your decision factor the noise. Your Bosco will be virtually silent. The Settle could wake the neighbors...!