Competition baskets for Olympia Cremina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jmarcus
Supporter ♡

Postby jmarcus » Nov 19, 2017, 6:51 pm

I think several of us have reached out to IMS and VST about competition baskets for the Cremina. I got my first response recently, and although I'm not that optimistic, if we could get an idea of the pre orders maybe we could get them to do a custom run.

What basket sizes would you want?

I think I would want basket sizes 10g - 14g - 16g -18g - 20g - 22g (the bigger would obviously need to be used with bottomless portafilters)

Would these also be compatible with the La Pavoni levers, I think they are 49mm as well?

What do you think?

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Nov 19, 2017, 7:00 pm

The 15 and 18 gram baskets made by IMS for Strietman supposedly fit the Cremina.

Rocky

Caver95

Postby Caver95 » Nov 19, 2017, 7:13 pm

I would be game for a 18

jwCrema

Postby jwCrema » Nov 20, 2017, 3:27 am

I'd take 2ea 18g

chopinhauer

Postby chopinhauer » Nov 20, 2017, 5:37 am

Just to get an idea, how big are these 18gr 49mm baskets? The size, say, of the Eletktra MCal doubles? Bigger? Smaller? Approx the same? I think I can get 18 grams into MCal doubles, but I might be pushing it, but it would nice to use a more precise basket for a change.
LMWDP #027

jmarcus
Supporter ♡

Postby jmarcus » Nov 20, 2017, 9:37 am

Rocky - Yes I have heard that about the Strietman baskets.
Chopinhauer » Yes I use the Eletktra MCal double basket and get 18g and depending on the bean I can get up to 20g into one. I would like precise backets

So I'm a little surprised that no one wants a range of basket sizes?

LBIespresso

Postby LBIespresso » Nov 20, 2017, 10:45 am

I have a couple of questions I hope someone could answer:

How would the 18 compare in size to the Elektra Microcasa a Leva Double? And given the basket size was the same how would this affect my espresso?
I like coffee. I like coffee people. LMWDP #580

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Nov 20, 2017, 11:16 am

jmarcus wrote:Rocky - Yes I have heard that about the Strietman baskets.

So I'm a little surprised that no one wants a range of basket sizes?

James,

I would probably buy 14, 16, and 18 gram baskets if available.

Rocky

grog

Postby grog » Nov 20, 2017, 11:32 am

I have the Streitman 14g basket (he wasn't offering the 18g at the time I purchased or I would have gotten that one instead). The basket's OD is about .5mm too large to easily fit the Olympia 49mm groups, but it can be coaxed in. The fit issue is significant enough, though that I wouldn't recommend them for Olympia machines. They fit Pavoni 49mm groups quite well, though. I never use mine with my Cremina or Club due to the fit issues. There's a thread somewhere about it and others had similar experiences, if I recall correctly.
LMWDP #514

genecounts

Postby genecounts » Nov 20, 2017, 11:53 am

18 please