Competition baskets for Olympia Cremina - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
3cordcreations

#81: Post by 3cordcreations »

Eastsideloco wrote:The Cremina has been manufactured since 1968. My guess is that there is some variation in the portafilter molds over time. On my 1974 Cremina, the Strietman baskets fit the OEM portafilter loosely without modification and lock into the grouphead with no problem. That may not be the case with a new portafilter or all of the vintage units. (Wouter's old Cremina is also an early model, maybe even a '68 or '69; it's now part of the Henk Langkemper Collection.)
Alright, mine is an '88 and I plan to purchase a bottomless from Gabor. Yes over that many years of manufacturing I'm sure the tolerances have changed a bit.
Anyone using a Strietman tamper with his baskets? I still need a good tamper and don't want to buy a generic brand. I would rather support smaller companies.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

Eastsideloco

#82: Post by Eastsideloco »

I use the Strietman tamper with a Kafatek shot grooming tool. The tamper has a minimalist design and profile. But the thinner base makes it easy to keep the puck level. My other 49mm tamper is a Reg Barber, but I us the Strietman tamper as a rule.

Looks like the grooming tool is sold out:

https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/index ... m-baskets/

Advertisement
jmarcus (original poster)

#83: Post by jmarcus (original poster) »

Hi,
A quick update: I have spent another $100 sending replacment basket Cremina basket and screen to Italy. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

BlackCarrera

#84: Post by BlackCarrera »

3cordcreations wrote:Alright, mine is an '88 and I plan to purchase a bottomless from Gabor. Yes over that many years of manufacturing I'm sure the tolerances have changed a bit.
Anyone using a Strietman tamper with his baskets? I still need a good tamper and don't want to buy a generic brand. I would rather support smaller companies.
Yup! I'm using the Strietman tamper as well and freaking love it. It's a convex tamper too btw, so keep that in mind. I love how the handle of it got a small bit of patina over the years of using it.

3cordcreations

#85: Post by 3cordcreations »

Well we shall see how these IMS work from WS. I ordered both sizes. :D

3cordcreations

#86: Post by 3cordcreations »

Well I received the IMS baskets from Strietman and both don't fit into the group of my '88. I will need to file edges down. IMS could make Cremina baskets with all the same measurements as these except for the rim just a mm or so smaller. If someone bought these that has a metal lathe, they could knock out a bunch of these and resell them...

#87: Post by jmarcus (original poster) »

Little communication with the manufacturer this week.
I have been clear on asking for competition grade baskets etc... Hoping to get somewhere. Should I ask them to sell through a vendor or should we do a group order and buy through me? ...

Advertisement
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#88: Post by LBIespresso replying to jmarcus »

I guess a goup order would be cheaper. If you do that I think your baskets should be free to you for all of your efforts once you net out shipping etc. Even with that it should still be less for all of us.
LMWDP #580

#89: Post by jmarcus (original poster) »

The cost is probably about the same, it looks like the minimum order is 250 and I don't think we are anywhere near there, but I figure I'll sell them online.

James

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#90: Post by LBIespresso »

Might be worth asking Cerini if they want to save you the trouble.
LMWDP #580