Comments on my technique [video] - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
grong

#11: Post by grong »

aindfan wrote:Anyone have 45mm yogurt cups (so I can stop using the rolled up and taped Intelligentsia publicity postcard)?
I grind two scoops and catch the grounds in a little cup, then pour the ground coffee slightly heaping into the basket-cover, toss, level with the chopstick.

aindfan (original poster)

#12: Post by aindfan (original poster) »

That sounds similar to PeaceCup's cut corner dosing method. I'd prefer to dose directly into the basket - one fewer cup to clean, quicker, and I tend to take too long getting the last of the coffee out of the cup and into the basket. Towards the end I would have trouble keeping the pile assembled (grounds would start rolling off the edges of the pile onto the table).
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

#13: Post by aindfan (original poster) »

My friend, who happens to be on the road to becoming a home barista (or at least avoiding the mistake many of us made and splurging on grinder+FP now and espresso later), took some great pictures of a shot last Sunday and gave me permission to link them here. Behold, the power of a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens and a good photographer behind it:

Coffee photos from last Sunday

Note: I know that it is best to upload photos here so they don't disappear, but in this case I'd prefer to skip that as I didn't take them.
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203

#14: Post by aindfan (original poster) »

An update from this morning: I tightened the grind down to a drip. Only about .6 oz from two pulls, but it was mostly delicious crema. It was so good that I broke my one shot rule, loosened the grind a bit for more flow, and pulled another. I'll try to get pictures of the new shot soon. The crema no longer has the brighter spot where the streams fall.

Thanks again for the tips!
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203

peacecup

#15: Post by peacecup »

aindfan wrote:It was so good that I broke my one shot rule,
It's a slippery slope I'm afraid....

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

IMAWriter

#16: Post by IMAWriter »

aindfan wrote:An update from this morning: I tightened the grind down to a drip. Only about .6 oz from two pulls, but it was mostly delicious crema. It was so good that I broke my one shot rule, loosened the grind a bit for more flow, and pulled another. I'll try to get pictures of the new shot soon. The crema no longer has the brighter spot where the streams fall.

Thanks again for the tips!
Ah, success....
Enjoy the 'spro!

sweaner

#17: Post by sweaner »

aindfan wrote:Anyone have 45mm yogurt cups (so I can stop using the rolled up and taped Intelligentsia publicity postcard)?
Fortuitously, I opened our fridge tonight to see something called Yoplait Kids yogurt. It is a small cup, and the bottom measures about 45-46mm. Might work.

http://www.yoplait.com/products_yoplaitkids.aspx
Scott
LMWDP #248

IMAWriter

#18: Post by IMAWriter »

You're sweating the details again :lol:

Nickk1066

#19: Post by Nickk1066 »

Poor grinder.. :shock: I'll be filing assault and battery charges!
Barista - applied pre-emptive hydro-thermodynamicist.
(#208)

#20: Post by aindfan (original poster) replying to Nickk1066 »

I did notice that the video makes the grinder thwacking more violent than it really is. As I said, the shots are much better with the tighter grind (even though the lever is moving much slower than it "should"). I'll experiment with possibly lower dose at this grind or same 15g and a bit coarser.
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203