Chinese Caravel/Flair/Robot

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK »

Interesting set-up that looks like a Caravel crossed with a Strietman or Newton, but with no heating element: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000346376411.html

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Arrarex Caravel and Strietman are self heated. This is more like a Faema baby, Flair or Robot. For the money you can pick up a proven Caravel or Robot for a little more.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Advertisement
LewBK (original poster)

#3: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

Yes, that's why I said no heating element, but the lever itself looks just like the Caravel's. Actually, it seems slightly less expensive than the Robot if you include its pressure gauge. The Barista version of the Robot with gauge costs $370 before shipping. This costs $300 +22 for shipping. The Flair Pro is $309, but free shipping. I do like that this one looks mostly made of steel, but have no idea if it's any good. It seems a little sturdier and nicer looking than Flair if you ask me, but I just find it a curiousity. It could be terrible for all I know.

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen »

There is another questionable device on there that has a heater built in but it is weak and so it requires preheated water but not preheating group. Looks like something out of components at the hardware store

Better off buying a Caravel and PIDing it...they are sub $200 on the bay anyway

adyu

#5: Post by adyu replying to truemagellen »

The Jane? I have that one. It's one guy's passion project. It takes two rounds of preheating because the grouphead is like a giant heatsink - even with the heating element! - it spits hot water if you retract the lever at the wrong moment, and the grouphead gets bent out of parallel during extraction so i stack the front end on some magazines, but its got a 58mm basket and a crazy long lever arm that makes hitting 9 bars and pressure profiling completely effortless. I think it's great.

LewBK (original poster)

#6: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

I don't see any heating element on the one I linked. What is the link to "The Jane?"

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

truemagellen wrote:Better off buying a Caravel and PIDing it...they are sub $200 on the bay anyway
Not to be underestimated. Heating is fast if you pre-boil the water. Also the lever arm action on the Caravel is beautifully engineered so you can lean to either side if flow starts through one of the spouts.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
vit

#8: Post by vit »

LewBK wrote:I don't see any heating element on the one I linked. What is the link to "The Jane?"
This one ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303179 ... 0776c253f8

LewBK (original poster)

#9: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

I saw that one, but didn't know it had a heating element in it. I don't see a plug or cord for it in the pictures. That arm looks tremendous, though, as you say. Update: Oh wait, now I see the video with a cord out the back!

adyu

#10: Post by adyu »

Yes, that's the one! Though I got it for a lot less on Taobao...but now I can't find the Taobao link anymore!