Check-In: Ponte Vecchio Export - Page 20

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zfeldman

#191: Post by zfeldman »

I'm still trying to nail down a workflow.
Dosing big (16ish grams) definitely seems to help stabilize the puck for multiple pulls, but taste wise I'm preferring smaller doses.
However, I'm getting donut extraction along the edges that is pretty slow to come back to the middle. It is worse with smaller doses.
I've tried WDT, no WDT, with dosing funnel, without dosing funnel.

beer&mathematics

#192: Post by beer&mathematics »

I find it hard to make the shots visually good looking (I only have a bottomless PF so it's all there to see :oops: ).

I really like using an Aeropress filter on top of the basket. I use it mostly to prevent grounds from going up the shower screen and into the boiler but it also helps to even the extraction a bit.

Important part is that the coffee tastes good 8)
LMWDP #431

zfeldman

#193: Post by zfeldman replying to beer&mathematics »

I'll give the aeropress filter a try.
What dosing and number of pulls have you settled on?

bcrdukes (original poster)

#194: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

BPlus makes a shower screen for a variety of portafilter sizes, including ours.

https://www.bplus.biz/products/lower-sh ... uck-screen

I inquired about it and turns out the 45mm shower screen should be available in or around March. This should help with extraction, or so I hope.
(Correction: It appears to be available for purchase now.)

I do get the occasional donut extractions but find that a combination for each roast/bean varies between weight, grind fineness, and distribution (WDT or otherwise) makes a bit of a difference. This will take a few tries before nailing it down and some beans I can almost never figure out in time before I run out. :oops:

For me, I'm running between 13 - 15g depending on roast. 13g-14g works best for darker roasts and a slightly coarser grind. 15g works for most "medium" type roasts on a slightly finer grind.
LMWDP #685

valoben

#195: Post by valoben »

Hello fellow Ponte Vecchio users, I have a shower screen related question: how uniform is the water supposed to flow ?

On my PV Lusso, after removing/cleaning/replacing the shower screen I noticed that the first jet of water (without portafilter locked in) coming out while pulling the lever down splashes forward towards me. Is it a normal phenomenon ? It only happens at the first stage when water flows (and goes on only if I block the lever in this particular position, it gets normal if I continue pulling it down

I was wondering if I did something wrong during the shower screen replacement, but it seems to sit correctly and is not bent. The machine is quite new, so I doubt it is a seal issue (I really hope it's not, I'm not prepared and do not have any tools whatsoever to assist me)
LMWDP #669

#196: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

Mine for some reasons tends to come out towards the back splash of the machine as opposed to me. It isn't uniform and has never been for me sine brand new. I don't know if there's a reason for that.
LMWDP #685

DrSnekFist

#197: Post by DrSnekFist »

Try wetting the puck. It helped with some of my uneven pulls. I am on a Pavoni though.

valoben

#198: Post by valoben »

bcrdukes wrote:Mine for some reasons tends to come out towards the back splash of the machine as opposed to me. It isn't uniform and has never been for me sine brand new. I don't know if there's a reason for that.
Good to know it's not unusual, thanks :)
LMWDP #669

#199: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

Hi Folks,

Hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday period and is healthy.

Long time since this thread has seen any action so I wanted to revive it by doing a quick check in and hoping to learn from some of the Export veterans a few questions:

1. How do you properly clean the grouphead? I've read some older threads here on HB where people they've used citric acid, vinegar etc. Can one use Cafiza in the boiler and flushing it out through the grouphead?

2. Descaling - I moved from a city that has soft'ish water to a city that has a completely difference water source and is a lot harder. It caused my E61-based machine some problems and is okay after a descaling. I want to prevent this with my Export since I've been favouring it over my E61-based machine. Can one use something like a commercial descaler to to be run through the machine on the Export?

3. How does one remove the shower screen on the grouphead?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
LMWDP #685

XS750AU

#200: Post by XS750AU »

Warm day here down under - 38C.
All I would say is be very careful using vinegar on chrome surefaces as it will disolve the chrome.
As to the the water supply issue. I would prefer to avoid the issue and use bottled water.
Citric acid has always worked well for me.
Lets hope we all have a better 2022.