Check-In: Ponte Vecchio Export - Page 19

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#181: Post by beer&mathematics »

espressotime wrote:I probably made that video to show how user unfriendly the Pharos was. Flow was indeed a little fast.
Ah Pharos, well as I use it as my daily driver since 2013 or so I can say a lot about it but it'd be off topic. Using the plastic storage container for the bottom is a terrible idea. If you are still using it I recommend you buy a baking mat (silicone ones for cookies) to hold the grinder in place and buy a container that can fit inside to catch the grounds.
LMWDP #431

espressotime

#182: Post by espressotime »

Nope.Sold it a long time ago.

patrickff

#183: Post by patrickff »

(More a note to self)
Important: Hold the portafilter while pressing down on the lever.
Reason: Will prevent it from popping out if not locked tight enough (as happened today :oops:)
LMWDP #753

bcrdukes (original poster)

#184: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) replying to patrickff »

Ouch, that probably did not go well. :shock:

So folks, I need some help and advice on my Export.

So I fire up my Export between 8am to 8:30am every day, give it 10 - 15 mins, go through my routine and shut it off after I'm done. I usually fire it up again at around 1:30pm to 2:30pm and do the usual routine. I noticed that if turn it on in the afternoon, the water in the sight glass bubble or shakes violently until I open up the steam wand and there is some pressure being released. The same happens in the evening where if I open the lid up top, I hear a "hiss" or release of air. Is this normal?
LMWDP #685

beer&mathematics

#185: Post by beer&mathematics »

Do you release the "false pressure" on the machine before you pull a shot?

I timed it recently and 4 minutes after I hit the on button I open the steam wand for a few seconds (up to a minute sometimes) until the steam comes out near full pressure. Then I close the steam wand and prep my shot. Then it's go time and then turn the machine off. No need to let it heat up further or waste energy.

It's a beautiful thing to go cold to shot in under 10 minutes.
LMWDP #431

#186: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

beer&mathematics wrote:Do you release the "false pressure" on the machine before you pull a shot?
Yes, each and every time.

I wonder - How does the safety valve on the Export work?
LMWDP #685

zfeldman

#187: Post by zfeldman »

1st-Line just sent out new gaskets.
Seems to have solved the problem. Could have been a bad batch. I pulled it and it looked fine, thought maybe had just been put in wrong, put it back in and all was fine. Till it had warmed for a while and stopped working.

New gasket install wasn't bad at all. Put them in boiling water for a few min, then stretched each with my fingers a few times before putting on.

The special tool makes it super quick to pull them. Especially for getting the new gaskets back in with the included ring.
I'll bet I could pull to lubricate in 5 min and maybe do a full gasket swap in 10-15.

I ordered some Dow 111 to lubricate. For this weekend it's just lubricated with the residual from factory install left on the inside of the grouphead. Figure it'll survive a day or two. Anything I have or can get locally is NOT food safe.

zfeldman

#188: Post by zfeldman »

bcrdukes wrote: if I open the lid up top, I hear a "hiss" or release of air. Is this normal?
Could that be air going IN?
Air expands during usage, then is sealed and cools down, air pressure falls during cool down?

Mine does it too when I come to it cold after using it for what it's worth.

#189: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

Hmm, maybe? But when I open the steam knob, it feels like air is coming out, and not in. I'll make note of it next time. It's been cold as of late here in Toronto but we have the heat on at 22 degrees Celsius at all times.
LMWDP #685

#190: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

Had my first portafilter sneeze incident today. I didn't lock the portafilter in enough and mid-pull after releasing the lever, the portafilter loosened and made a huge mess all over the place. :oops:
LMWDP #685