Check-In: Ponte Vecchio Export - Page 17

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
XS750AU

#161: Post by XS750AU »

patrickff wrote: for the Export is: (1) Preheat for 15 minutes, (2) fill portafilter and lock, (3) 5 minutes, (4) hold lever down for 5 seconds, (5) let go half-way until a few drops are in the cup, (6) pull gently down and hold for 10 seconds, (7) let go 3/4 up, (8) pull down again and then let go.
I get most of this workflow, but I do not understand "(2) fill portafilter and lock, (3) 5 minutes," in particular having the grounds heating up for 5 minutes? I agree to preheat the portafilter, but doesn't heating the grounds degrade them?

patrickff
Supporter ♡

#162: Post by patrickff » replying to XS750AU »

My - potentially wrong assumption - is that a colder portafilter is worse than grounds that have been warmed up a little bit.

mbeck

#163: Post by mbeck »

Hey folks - first time caller, long time listener. Finally bought a Lusso and a Vario last week, due almost entirely to the wonderful information on this board - so thank you for that! Have been enjoying exploring this setup, and have already pulled what I think are a few reasonable shots - albeit after a fair number of sink shots. :)

The recipes mentioned above are very helpful for reference. I've been doing 15g in the double basket and aiming for around 30g out with two pulls. I'm grinding around 2T on the new, seemingly reasonably calibrated Vario, with a medium tamp, but my shot times are all over the map - from 45 to 90 seconds, including 10 secs preinfusion. Consistency is still elusive, and I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming for.

Any suggestions on optimal shot times, preinfusion times, and/or lever techniques would be gratefully appreciated. Going to try the patrickff/peacecup method shortly. UPDATE: tried it and best shot yet! 32g in 55 secs. Does that seem like a reasonable flow rate?

FWIW, the build quality on this Lusso seems great, at least to my semi-informed eye. Everything seem to be tight, operation is smooth, no scratches or blemishes. Happy it came with a real tamper. Pressurestat was at 1.3 bar from the factory, so I lowered to 1.1 (great tip to remove the entire steam/hot water valve assemblies instead of trying to take off the knobs to get the cover off - the new style knobs don't come off!). Hoping to wrap the boiler this weekend. Very much appreciating the fit and finish!

bcrdukes (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#164: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

Hi Michael,

Welcome to HB, and the Lever forum. Congrats on your Ponte Vecchio Lusso, and welcome to the club!

Happy to hear you are happy with your Lusso; I genuinely hope that you stick around with it and share your experiences with it. If I may ask, where did you purchase it from? Pictures are worth a thousand words! :mrgreen:
LMWDP #685

patrickff
Supporter ♡

#165: Post by patrickff »

mbeck wrote:Hey folks - first time caller, long time listener
Heh, Welcome. The quest for a better shot is never ending - hopefully the Lusso is a companion.

Everyone: Did anyone attach a temperature strip to the group head? If yes, 60-90 or 90-120?

zfeldman

#166: Post by zfeldman »

I ordered the 'low', but haven't received it yet.
I'll report back when I get it installed.

bcrdukes (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#167: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

The purist in me (aka big baby) doesn't want to violate the machine by adding a temperature strip. :oops:
LMWDP #685

beer&mathematics

#168: Post by beer&mathematics »

I just noticed Patrick's 5 minute pre-infusion! :shock:

I used to experiment with that only for super light roasted coffee. When I lived in NYC I could get Tim Wendelboe coffee from a local roastery and it was yummy as brew and I was trying to extract it in the Export and would give it a few minutes (up to 20 minutes) of sitting there after a first pull soaking the puck. At the time it was a challenge to grind that fine using my Pharos (hand grinder) and it pushed the limits of my capabilities. Fun stuff, but I see it was with Redbird? Redbird, IIRC, is dark roasted (to me, or medium-dark) so I would imagine it would be detrimental to making a good shot of espresso to have a 5 minute wait time.

On the temperature strips, I have a few but don't have the heart to put them on. I dunno, I find the lack of numbers liberating for the levers. Also, it's very hard to pull sink shots :wink: I am still dialing in the pstat by taste and it's alot of fun. Although, if I was starting out, I would definitely add the temp strips.
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#169: Post by beer&mathematics »

mbeck wrote:Hey folks - first time caller, long time listener. Finally bought a Lusso and a Vario last week...

The recipes mentioned above are very helpful for reference. I've been doing 15g in the double basket and aiming for around 30g out with two pulls. I'm grinding around 2T on the new, seemingly reasonably calibrated Vario, with a medium tamp, but my shot times are all over the map - from 45 to 90 seconds, including 10 secs preinfusion. Consistency is still elusive, and I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming for.

Any suggestions on optimal shot times, preinfusion times, and/or lever techniques would be gratefully appreciated. Going to try the patrickff/peacecup method shortly. UPDATE: tried it and best shot yet! 32g in 55 secs. Does that seem like a reasonable flow rate?
Hi Michael, welcome and exiting times are ahead for you! Cherish the learning and occasional sink shots as that's when you'll learn the most.

I think the "timing your shots" on a lever are not very useful for beginners. It took me years to let go of timing my shots. I still do it, but only because I like it. However, I dial in my espresso on a lever by flow and depending on the coffee. But to give you some helpful times, the 45 seconds to 1:30 seconds is the reasonable window of time from first pull to the end of the shot. Again, it depends on the coffee, but some coffee tastes great at 45 seconds and only 1 or two pulls, some coffees taste better slow at 1:30 seconds with multiple pulls. Go by taste and don't worry about the numbers and you will enjoy the process more
LMWDP #431

espressotime

#170: Post by espressotime »

Stumbled on this old video of an Export cappu.
What a machine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82qWsWeyE1A
Grind,rake ,tamp and enjoy a great espresso.( by F. G.)