Check-In: Ponte Vecchio Export - Page 16

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#151: Post by beer&mathematics »

Hey! Don't mess with the design! Export is one of the coolest lever machines out there IMO and it looks very unique 8)

Maybe take pics and show the "imperfections" on your PVExport. This seems to be in the spirit of the original post of the thread. Would definitely help out anyone trying to decided on a new PV.
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#152: Post by beer&mathematics »

My box of goodies from LaMacchinadelCaffe arrived super fast. Only a few pieces had chrome and they were all super nice, good quality. Here's a pic of the new fork to replace my mangled one (for purely aesthetic reasons, old one functions fine):

My old spring is broken so I definitely want to replace it. Here's my old worn and cracked spring (small one) vs a brand new PV one:

Well, as you can see, new one is longer and I couldn't compress it enough to insert the piston using the "piston removal tool" I have (it is great to compress the spring while the pins hold it in place).

Here's my first attempt:

I couldn't compress it enough to insert the portafilter into the group bell.

Another method I tried was to use a single c-clamp directly on the piston and the spring is so strong that I couldn't compress it enough to have the cylinder with the hole poke through.

Any ideas?
LMWDP #431

zfeldman

#153: Post by zfeldman »

Can you compress it in a vise to break it in a little?
Maybe wearing eye protection :lol:

beer&mathematics

#154: Post by beer&mathematics »

Don't have a vice sadly but I was able to put the new spring in! What worked for me was that I ended up removing the group from the boiler. C-clamps didn't end up working for me. The ones I used (easy grip) were big enough but didn't exert force and the iron c-clamps I had were too small for the job. It turns out once I remove the group I could used more force with my hands and ended up (eventually) getting the PF removal tool (ie a PF with a large screw in the middle) to engage into the group bell. Done, right? Wrong. Well, lining up the piston was very finicky so that the pin would work well. (Yes, I tried twisting it with a screw driver into place but it wouldn't work, it would just twist back). I would then have to unscrew the tool and start over again. I didn't count the number of times I had to do this, maybe 10 or so, before eventually it worked.

Putting the group back on, one screw was stripped beyond use. Luckily the thread of the boiler are ok so that's not too bad and is an easy fix. Ok, very soon, my Sama will be back into the rotation.
LMWDP #431

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#155: Post by Nunas »

Often, those qwik grip clamps don't have enough mechanical advantage to do the job. When this happens in my shop, instead of using two in parallel (per your photo), I use them in series. That is, put one clamp on (with a jig for this job...I made one of wood). Squeeze as much as you can, then put the second clamp on the first clamp's trigger/handle. You now have a much greater mechanical advantage, and the first clamp will close nicely.

patrickff

#156: Post by patrickff »

Thank you for all the useful information.

I bought a used Export a few months back and finally found some time to take it apart, clean it, paint a spot (missing chrome), change the seals, and put it back together. Super-fine steel wool does miracles to chrome surfaces.

This YouTube helped me to get the piston in/out; I used two nuts instead of threading a scrap metal piece though. As for the seals themselves: soaking them boiling water and a cake tester did it.

The produced shows have slightly less body then the shots made with my Silvia, but are sweeter. And I enjoy the actual process - except not having a grove for the portafilter basket spring is annoying.
LMWDP #753

bcrdukes (original poster)

#157: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

So over the past day or two, I noticed with my Export, when having the machine cooled down for over 6 hours, when I open the boiler cap, there's a light "hiss" of pressure being relieved. This didn't happen originally. In addition, I noticed that I cannot turn the cap to the same stopping position anymore. Let's just say I used to be able to have the text face me entirely at the 6pm position. Now, I'm only able to turn it as far as the 4pm position. Is this normal? Or is something suspect?
LMWDP #685

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#158: Post by pcofftenyo »

I think there is an O-ring in the fill cap: these swell sometimes although I wouldn't expect much change in a seasoned environment.

If the cap is screwed down pretty tight and there isn't anything in it keeping it from sealing down I wouldn't sweat it. Check the inside and the boiler fill threads though for good measure.

Now to make the groove for the retainer spring in the basket...vise, pipe, propane torch, cold chisel?

beer&mathematics

#159: Post by beer&mathematics »

This morning I did a quick little taste test, shoot-out between the La Spaziale S1 vivaldi VS the Sama Export. I used Klatch experimental espresso v3 that's in it's sweet spot (about 2 weeks post-roast). It was a fun test, not trying to be scientific so I dialed in the coffee to make the best shots I can out of each machine which is a 1:2 ratio. On the La Spaziale this was: 18g in, 36 g out (in 28 sec including 3 sec preinfusion, temp was 93C). On the Export this was: 15 g in, 30 g out (in about 45 seconds with 15 sec preinfusion, left lever rise (get about 15g from this), then second pull and slowly guide the lever back up; temp unknown). I won't try to describe the espresso since I'm not good at that but maybe in the future if I take notes :wink:

I was expecting to taste the difference but there were nearly identical! :shock:

Interesting...I will keep trying this each morning as I'm still wired and will likely skip the afternoon/evening espresso today.

I am still dialing in the pstat on the Export and I'm doing it blind. It's almost there, I'll likely lower it just a hair. It's so sensitive. The entire range from too cool to steam to too hot is about 1/8 of a turn. Later, I will be a good next project to make a quick steam-wand pressure gauge.

A fun weekend project I did after finishing the Export was to give the La Spaziale a new color:

Can't wait to finish fixing the Bezzera (it is not in the rotation since I still haven't fixed a pinhole leak) and then do a triple shoot-out.
LMWDP #431

patrickff

#160: Post by patrickff »

beer&mathematics wrote:This morning I did a quick little taste test, shoot-out between the La Spaziale S1 vivaldi VS the Sama Export. (...)
I was expecting to taste the difference but there were nearly identical!
Very interesting. The Silvia (23.5g in / triple basket) and Export (14g) - both 2:1 - tasted quite different for Red Bird. Both portafilters were filled in one swoop with funnels (customized Aeropress funnel for the Export).
My current Export method - basically peacecup's - for the Export is: (1) Preheat for 15 minutes, (2) fill portafilter and lock, (3) 5 minutes, (4) hold lever down for 5 seconds, (5) let go half-way until a few drops are in the cup, (6) pull gently down and hold for 10 seconds, (7) let go 3/4 up, (8) pull down again and then let go.
LMWDP #753