Carimali Lever Boiler Repair Question - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
RKRobinson (original poster)

#11: Post by RKRobinson (original poster) »

Here is a close up. Looks like a plumbing valve adapted for espresso. Still struggling with the other one. Trying to clean it out from the back end through the hole. Alternating between vinegar and olive oil. The force that these nuts have been sealed with has almost destroyed the boiler. The pressure release valve also didnt have a gasket and it bent the boiler to to get it off. Ditto with the water valve. While the goo on the main boiler gasket took a week to get all the bolts out from.

dmccallum

#12: Post by dmccallum »

Great work. The bane of previous bodged repairs!
I expect you'll be able to find suitable o-rings. They may still be available, although I'm more familiar with Faema & Gaggia on that point.
I'd be applying a good bit of heat to the top of that nut with a propane torch before trying to extract after your cleaning efforts. A lot of heat will be dawn away of course but get it as hot as you can with whatever heat source you have and let it cool slowly. It may help unstick the threads.

grinser

#13: Post by grinser »

Congratulation on removing the first one!
And good luck for the other one!

RKRobinson (original poster)

#14: Post by RKRobinson (original poster) »

Okay I finally got the second one out. Had to make a jig of sorts to hold the boiler still while I applied torque to the nut with a vise grip, all the while hitting it with a hammer. The nut is a bit of a mess but okay. Most importantly nothing broken or otherwise non functional. Now I need to source a bunch of gaskets. With any luck this is the last of the nightmares.

grinser

#15: Post by grinser »

Congratulations again!
And thanks for documenting the process!

I hope the rest goes easier for you!