Caravel Tamping...

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
hbuchtel

#1: Post by hbuchtel »

Hello fellow Caravel owners, I'm thinking of getting a tamper made for the Caravel 'cause my thumb just isn't getting very reliable results!

Have any of you done this? Any thoughts on diameter, concave/convex, craftsperson...

Henry
LMWDP #53

timo888

#2: Post by timo888 »

The top cylindrical section of my Caravel's conical basket has a 44mm I.D.

A 43mm--43.5mm flat tamper works. Convex would work too -- might work even better if you're downdosing and pulling a small single.

Richard (espressme) made a tamper for the Caravel from brass and hardwood, in shape reminiscent of the Peppina's tamper. And I just received a wooden tamper from Thor for the Cremina, but I've been so involved with the Lusso, it remains untried.

Regards
Timo

mogogear

#3: Post by mogogear »

Less apt than Tim, I had an old Peppina tamper, I just spun it round and round on a fine bench grinder wheel till it fit the way I like it. Mostly flat and it works fine.

Good to hear from you Henry- I hope the family is fine and looking forward to Spring!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

timo888

#4: Post by timo888 »

mogogear wrote:Less apt than Tim, I had an old Peppina tamper, I just spun it round and round on a fine bench grinder wheel till it fit the way I like it. Mostly flat and it works fine.
More apt, actually. You have a fine bench grinder.

espressme

#5: Post by espressme replying to timo888 »

Who's grinding benches? :?
ADD Old Phart :twisted:
richrd
richard penney LMWDP #090,

hbuchtel (original poster)

#6: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

Yay, Richard has agreed to make one for me! :)

We will go with your suggestion of 43.5mm, Timo. It should be possible to dose anywhere from where the basket walls curve in all the way to the screen... plenty of flexibility!

Henry
LMWDP #53

Walter

#7: Post by Walter »

Sorry didn't see that thread before...

I have a RB 43,5 Flat-C tamper and it fits my basket just perfectly.

espressme

#8: Post by espressme »

hbuchtel wrote:Yay, Richard has agreed to make one for me! :)

We will go with your suggestion of 43.5mm, Timo. It should be possible to dose anywhere from where the basket walls curve in all the way to the screen... plenty of flexibility!

Henry
edit:
My avatars change often.
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

#9: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

espressme wrote:That's Henry's in the Avatar :)
richard
I sure am looking forward to it! My efforts without a tamper were too frustrating...

Henry
LMWDP #53

#10: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

Well, Richard finished this a while ago but it has been languishing at my folks' place 'cause I've been to cheap to have it mailed to China...

Nice to see it finally! It fits my hand very comfortably and goes all the way down to where the Caravel basket begins to taper (thanks Tim!). Unfortunately I have to wait another month or so before actually making a shot ... :wink:

Henry

LMWDP #53