Caravel Tamping... - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressme

#21: Post by espressme »

Hello Henry!
I'm happy to know you made it back safely! And can get great shots from an "old" machine.
My best wishes to you and the family!
Cheers
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

hbuchtel (original poster)

#22: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) replying to espressme »

Thanks! The trip was surprisingly easy... :) and that old machine is doing great!

Henry
LMWDP #53

hbuchtel (original poster)

#23: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

A few photos-

Hee hee ... more crema then the shots I got from the Synesso at Vivace! ;)

Henry
LMWDP #53

espressme

#24: Post by espressme »

Wow! :lol:
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

mogogear

#25: Post by mogogear »

Wow- Henry nice--Good looking tamper too! ;>) !

I may have to get my Caravel out and see what she can do- It has been a while. Glad you had a safe trip to and from! Sorry i missed you
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

peacecup

#26: Post by peacecup »

Henry,

That is the photo I have been waiting for! I've had a secret longing for the Caravel since I first saw one a couple of years ago. Then Greg showed me his in Seattle a while back, and I was doubly impressed - the are so simple and elegant. A real work of functional kitchen art. The portafilter somehow reminded me of a piece of jewelry. And now, finally results in the cup.

One problem is that I've developed a real taste for milk drinks, so a Caravel would have to be a second machine. Once I get settled in to 220V-land, I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for one.

Thanks for the photos,

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

peacecup

#27: Post by peacecup »

Oh, and by the way, nothing could better compliment your Caravel than a matching hand grinder (sorry for the poor image, but this is an Orange and white KYM):

PC
LMWDP #049

peacecup

#28: Post by peacecup »

I'm overjoyed to post that I am finally a member of Club Caravel! On Christmas Eve a very special Santa slipped down our chiminey bearing gifts, and I have been enjoying the timeless beauty and exqusitite espresso that the Caravel has brought.

The machine is a marvel of modern design - so incredibly simple, but so capable of manually squeezing out the very essense of the coffee bean. Let us step back in time for a moment, and think about the designers. Sitting in a workshop somewhere around Milano, thinking about how they could bring the great advance in espresso (i.e. the 58-mm commercial ever piston, which superceded the steam-pressure machine) into the home of the average Itailan family. It had to be small, inexpensive but well-built, but capable of a relatively high brew pressure. It also had to be practical, simple to maintain, and of course, Beautilful! STAINLESS STEEL BOILER! (today found only on the Cremina 2002).

I'll be writing more about the Caravel soon, and hopefully getting to some photos and videos. For now I'll just end by saying that the Caravel IS espresso!

PC
LMWDP #049