Caravel help with electrical problems

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ripvanmd

#1: Post by ripvanmd »

So I perhaps made a mistake in letting my electrical engineer father replace the cord on my caravel. I had purchased a 110 element as well. It appears to be bricked. I don't have a lot of experience wiring small appliances and don't want to have to defibrillate myself. Based on the pictures any obvious problems?

Thanks

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

It looks to me like he rewired the neutral (wht) and hot (blk) directly to the heating element. If I'm right, when you plug it in, it will heat up, come to a boil, and then continue to boil instead of shutting off, as it should. If it does this, then you know the line cord and the element are okay.

The way it is intended to be wired, is to have the microswitch (yellow wires) in series with the heater. You can easily fix this, using the three terminals provide on the Caravel. Assume that only the neutral and hot (white/black) are connected as they are. Connect one side of the heater to the lug opposite the hot (black). Connect the other heater wire to one of the middle lugs. Connect one of the yellow wires to the other middle terminal lug. Connect the other yellow wire to the lug opposite the neutral (white) wire. Check your wiring. Starting from hot, follow the wires; they should be in a circle. If you have an ohmmeter, connect it to the plug and look for a low ohm reading (probably about 10 ohm). You don't want to see a short (zero ohms) or open (infinity ohms). This leaves the pilot lamp (green wires) unconnected. You have a choice here. If you want it to blink on and off with the power to the element, connect it to the terminal block where the two heater wires are connected, as above. If you want it to be on when the Caravel is plugged in (i.e. pilot light), then connect it to the lugs where the black and wires are connected. If I recall, mine is connected to wink on and off with the heater, which gives an indication that the water is up to temperature.
★ Helpful

ripvanmd (original poster)

#3: Post by ripvanmd (original poster) »

Awesome!! Thanks! I'll take another look. It doesn't heat up at all despite the current set up. Will rewire

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas replying to ripvanmd »

Oh my, that's not a good sign. The way it's hooked up, if I can see the wires clearly enough, is directly to the plug. If you've got no heat, rewiring won't help (unless what I see isn't what I think). Use your ohmmeter directly on the heater terminals. You should get a low ohm reading there. The Caravel has an odd setup, more like an old-fashioned stove than a coffee machine :wink: The heater plugs into two springy connectors. If you get no reading with the heater in the machine, pull it out and make the reading directly on the element. If the heater is good, then check the line cord. They sometimes break internally from flexing where the wire goes into the machine or where the wire goes into the plug.