Canuck's ordering from Cerini

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pcdawson

#1: Post by pcdawson »

Any Canuks here ever order Olympia parts or machines/grinders from Cerini? If so, were you ever charged duty across the border? Quality Coffee Systems in Vancouver sells Olympia but they sometimes don't have what I'm looking for. For example, I have been considering buying a moca sd grinder but QCC does not carry them.

Satchmo780

#2: Post by Satchmo780 »

I haven't bought from Cerini, but have from Salvatore and am always charged duty. Sometimes it's more than the part cost.
LMWDP #737

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

I've ordered parts from Cerini, shipped by post.

The post office sometimes doesn't collect, sometimes they do. It has nothing to do with the vendor, but does seem to vary with service. They always collect on EMS, not so often on Parcel post.

Courrier companies almost always collect, and add fees for brokering, advancement, etc. UPS ground is notorious for their fees to clear customs.

For non-postal shipments, you always have the option of brokering the shipment yourself. I'll do that for any non-low-value shipment (over $3300 CAD in customs-speak).

Of course, you are always responsible for paying duty, excise, GST/HST/sales tax.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mrgnomer

#4: Post by mrgnomer »

I'm in Canada and recently got a Hottop roaster part from the States. Communicated directly with the vendor rather than order it from their site and hope for the best. They included a flat custom fee charge with US Postal which was pretty reasonable on top of a pretty reasonable Priority shipping fee.

I don't like ordering from the States but when there's no choice I found US Postal to Can Post has been reliable and reasonably priced for both shipping and customs. UPS has been unpredictable for me and excessive in their custom fee charges and I avoid them.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

pcdawson (original poster)

#5: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Thanks to you all - I'll contact QCS tomorrow to see if they have the parts I need in stock. If not I'll phone Cerini and see if I can have them send it USPS rather than DHL.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

Also, if one is in the GTA, crossborderpickups.ca can quite often work out to be less expensive, especially if the vendor offers free shipping in the lower 48. There are similar services at every border crossing, but crossborderpickup's pricing for small items is about the lowest that I've used.

#7: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Yeah - we have one in Sweet Grass Montana (I m in Calgary, AB). But when you factor in gas and time to and from the border it's almost the same as paying the duty - depending on the item of course.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing replying to pcdawson »

Just to clarify, you don't cross the border with crossborderpickups. For example, a small package is $7.50 received in the USA and includes transporting that package to one of their two warehouses in the GTA. Besides the $7.50, you pay duties and taxes and a 3% brokerage charge on the duties and taxes.

U2u

#9: Post by U2u »

pcdawson wrote:Any Canuks here ever order Olympia parts or machines/grinders from Cerini? If so, were you ever charged duty across the border? Quality Coffee Systems in Vancouver sells Olympia but they sometimes don't have what I'm looking for. For example, I have been considering buying a moca sd grinder but QCC does not carry them.
Late to the show here... I have done several recent orders to both Cerini and QCS based on who has what available. Three orders to each. Generally the costs end up being very similar but some items are way out of line with QCS being much more affordable in those instances. I purchased a Mocha SD from Cerini and it was sent by way of Fedex with delivery in less than two business days. Just over $200 in HST and brokerage so it was probably a tick cheaper than special order from QCS. Added bonus almost no waiting time. Worth a phone call to QCS if you are trying to support an in country vendor.

#10: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply - sent you a pm regarding your thoughts on the mocha sd. QCS is an excellent vendor - very friendly and responsive to emails and questions. I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone. Cerini has also been excellent for information. Johnny even called me long distance once to answer a question.