Canted Upper Gauge Assembly

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IvyWrigl3y

#1: Post by IvyWrigl3y »

I recently purchased a 2019 La Pavoni PPG-16 that was only used a few times. Originally, it was not heating. Miraculously, I found Stefano's YouTube channel video "How to Reset the Thermostat on the S/S Heating Element ". I have been diligently working to pull an acceptable shot since.

I would like to inquire if anyone has ever corrected a canted Upper Gauge Assembly? I believe I could access the nut from the top of the boiler (knob for the tank removed) with the right tool, and knowing the correct nut size. I do not believe that this misalignment has a negative affect on the performance of the La Pavoni, other than that the plastic protector will not fit properly at the top front position. However, upon removal of the Gauge, I can see that the top of the Glass Site Tube has been broken. I do not trust myself to remove the boiler in order to access the nut and correct this misalignment. I thank you in advance for your attention to my inquiry.

Kaffee Bitte

#2: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I have not had to change the sight glass on mine, but have a feeling that you will have difficulty reaching the nut from the boiler fill. I would assume you need to drain the boiler and remove the heating element to access that nut. Removing the heating element is not so hard with a Allen wrench of appropriate size. The boiler flange is the difficult part, but you shouldn't have to mess with that to right this. You will need a long handled tool to reach it. The boiler base is smaller than you might think looking at the outside.

You will have to replace the sight glass tube, and a good idea to do the gaskets and Teflon gasket etc at same time. There are videos for the sight glass replacement to help avoid the pitfalls.

Edit to add.
My handiness is pretty low on my spec sheet, but I managed all my repairs so far. The first try is always the hardest. Half the battle is having the correct parts and tools to do it
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Advertisement
IvyWrigl3y (original poster)

#3: Post by IvyWrigl3y (original poster) »

Dankeschön Kaffe Bitte! I am thinking that perhaps you were correct and I should have attempted to do the work myself. Sadly, I did not. I went on a recommendation and had a technician with many years of La Pavoni experience, correct the upper gauge assembly. Unfortunately, although he took care in wrapping the vice he used, ultimately the assembly was considerably marred. Now I am in the market for a replacement piece. I am however, a bit confused as to whether this PPG 16 is actually gold plated as advertised, and how I would go about matching the part. There seems to be much controversy as to whether they are 18 karat, 22 karat, or no real gold just a "gold" plating. Regardless, I am quite handy at many things, and I am disappointed in myself, for not attempting, and showing little faith in my abilities as you encouraged me to do.

Kaffee Bitte

#4: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Welcome. This site has helped me countless times. Happy to help.

Coffee sensor (European) most likely has the replacement in gold and the washer, nut, and sight glass parts, etc.

Stephanos espresso care, based in Oregon, has the parts for sure but may not have the assembly in gold. A quick email would probably tell you either way.

I have no idea if they are true gold plated, but I have always assumed they were "gold" plated. Never had my hands on a gold one though. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

RobAnybody

#5: Post by RobAnybody »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:Coffee sensor (European) most likely has the replacement in gold and the washer, nut, and sight glass parts, etc.

Stephanos espresso care, based in Oregon, has the parts for sure but may not have the assembly in gold. A quick email would probably tell you either way.
To add another option, La macchina del Caffe is also a good source for these parts, they currently have both the 11 and 12 mm* versions of the 'gold' upper sight glass mount in stock
https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/en/r ... avoni.html

* Best check on your machine which one you need

Cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647