Cannot get proper microfoam from 70s La Pavoni Europiccola. Help! - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Joedavey84 (original poster)

#11: Post by Joedavey84 (original poster) »

RobAnybody

#12: Post by RobAnybody »

The overflow pipe should be aligned such that any condensation drips into the drip tray. See also here: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... 10_eng.htm
You can adjust it but you need two nr 16 metric wrenches (one of thrm quite flat) the flat one is to hold the lower nut of the OVP assembly in place while you slightly unscrew the top nut. This allows you to rotate the overflow pipe to the correct position.
You might have to remove the steam wand first, or you have to unscrew the ovp nut entirely (and don't forget to catch the spring and ball inside if you do so). You can also lower the angle of your steam wand a bit, it is now almost touching the OVP body, leaving some space in between could help in getting a better clearance and angle.
Cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

Advertisement
sonnylowe

#13: Post by sonnylowe »

Joedavey84 wrote:image
The wand I use in the video is exactly the same, it is very soft, so you can simple bend it out away from the boiler if you like. You can see the angle in the photo below...

LMWDP #597

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

Just be careful not to break the wand, it's perhaps the only part there are no spares for (only the whole assembly in the new style).

I don't think the angle matters all that much, but I didn't see anyone mention temperature. With those old Pavonis you can crank it up on massimo/II until it starts hissing violently from the safety valve to get really nice steam power. I used to do so with a 1mm single hole tip for great effect :D

ojt

#15: Post by ojt »

sonnylowe wrote:... you can simple bend it ...
Thank you Sonny! I was about to suggest this but wasn't quite 100% sure :)
Osku

#16: Post by Joedavey84 (original poster) »

Sonnylowe thanks for that! I had considered bending it but didn't want to snap it. I was wondering why yours was so much further from the group. Did you bend it and if so any techniques you'd recommend other than just going for it?

#17: Post by Joedavey84 (original poster) »

Also i think the other pic is misleading. The overflow pipe is angled to drip into the tray.

Advertisement

#18: Post by Joedavey84 (original poster) »

Just wanted to thank all of you for your help as i was FINALLY after months if trying, able to get proper microfoam. Sonnylowe a special thanks to you because your video and suggestion to bend the steam wand out is what made the difference.

I simply couldn't angle the pitcher enough without having the wand bent out; so i wasn't getting enough roll to properly texture the milk. Once i bent it out it took me a few tries but i'm now able to get consistent microfoam.

Now i can start working on pouring latte art which is an exciting new part of my morning routine. Thanks again guys and hopefully this thread helps someone in my shoes down the line!

#19: Post by Joedavey84 (original poster) »

Just wanted to show some proof of my success. Poor latte art but i can actually practice it now thanks to you guys.