Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 84

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Apr 14, 2019, 3:49 am

Ssxie wrote:Has anybody tried brewing tea (dust) or tea bag in the pressurised basket? I read some threads back that someone successfully brewed ese pods in the pressurised basket..

*puts my hand up* I had tried that! I used some loose tea (oh, and ground using hand grinder), but the end result seemed to be more concentrated and tasted quite astringent. Hence I haven't experimented further. :P

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » replying to samuellaw178 » Apr 14, 2019, 1:21 pm

'Yes, and your grinder became TOTALLY confused. :lol:
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

max

Postby max » Apr 14, 2019, 1:45 pm

samuellaw178 wrote:*puts my hand up* I had tried that! I used some loose tea (oh, and ground using hand grinder), but the end result seemed to be more concentrated and tasted quite astringent. Hence I haven't experimented further. :P

Maybe rooibos is the way to go?

Geert

Postby Geert » Apr 14, 2019, 4:44 pm

redpig wrote:Hrm - that just sounds like chanelling is happening. Light tamp works, preheat and/or a preinfuse at 2 bar will also tame it, as well as updosing a bit. Not sure if that's all been covered in this thread yet (had my robot for a while and a faema baby but haven't caught up on this thread yet!).

HTH!

I had the same issue. Tamping to hard which indeed leads to channeling (easily observed at the bottom of the filter), resulting in under extraction. Tamping light allows you to grind finer without choking the extraction. And indeed, updosing also helps (best results for me now at 18gr, still doing fine tuning). Took me 4 hours and 1kg of beans to figure it out, new bees are warned ;-)

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Apr 14, 2019, 4:56 pm

IMAWriter wrote:'Yes, and your grinder became TOTALLY confused. :lol:

Totally! :lol:

max wrote:Maybe rooibos is the way to go?

Maybe that would work better....I was thinking along this line -> brewed coffee becomes this wonderful flavor-packed potion when extracted as concentrated espresso. I was hoping this jasmine tea would become perfumed jasmine syrup if I also concentrate it similarly. Not sure what was I on at the time. :oops:

LC

Postby LC » Apr 14, 2019, 5:54 pm

jpender wrote:Yeah, you're right. I forgot about that. He used some type of Loctite to keep it from spinning. He said in one video that you'd likely break the fitting if you tried to unscrew it. So then you'd have to replace the gauge as well. That makes it less attractive as a DIY project.

I find that I can see the gauge by adjusting my body position anyway. I'm new to espresso so having the gauge is very useful. I'd be mucking about with a bathroom scale otherwise.

I watched the video again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVJSjgsF-ak), it's the gauge to the bracket which is threadlocked. So hopefully the bracket can be easily removed for servicing. I'm not quite sure if Paul would be willing to make an angled or swivelled bracket. In his videos he doesn't usually lean on the machine - the manometer seems to be pretty visible with this technique.

jpender

Postby jpender » replying to LC » Apr 14, 2019, 7:27 pm

Yes, so I suspect that means you'd probably ruin the gauge if you tried to replace the bracket with something else. Maybe not, maybe you could bust it loose by heating it up, I don't really know. But it would give me pause before trying a DIY upgrade.

I've seen videos with people more or less on top of their Robots, pushing down. My counter top is too high for that position. I find myself more on level with it, half pushing and half pulling, and looking right at the gauge. I have a couple of ideas for small modifications but the gauge orientation isn't one of them.

adyu

Postby adyu » Apr 15, 2019, 5:03 pm

Picked up my Robot from SCA Boston, pulled a few shots. The third shot I pulled is one of the best I've ever tasted. I could not be happier with my purchase.

It was great fun pulling (bungling) a shot with the Cafelat team! SCA Boston was a blast!

Paul_Pratt

Postby Paul_Pratt » Apr 15, 2019, 6:44 pm

The gauge

The hex fitting on the back of the gauge is threadlocked into place, and heat will release the bond. But I strongly advise not attempting it as it will probably break the gauge.

I will work on a different bracket this week to allow for viewing from the top.

The tamper

I pulled around 200 shots over 3 days at SCA and 95% or those I felt most comfortable with the simple tamper that comes with the Robot - rather than the prototype levelling tamper I made. For those that did come along you would have noticed my tamping was very light to moderate, not too hard at all. Probably the levelling tamper I made was too good a fit and was causing the puck to crack as I removed the tamper. Some breathing holes should solve that.

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Apr 16, 2019, 12:39 am

Paul,
For us a bit vision challenged (have to wear reading glasses), I have found grinding directly into the basket (the Sette works well for this) yields a nearly level grind, which makes a straight tamp easier. Previously, I was pouring the grind from a small grind catcher into the basket. Hit or miss on an even distribution. I love the provided tamper. I have no issues with channeling.

That said, I was wondering about my gauge. With a time tested grind fineness (over 350 shots from the Robot) I can never seem to reach 6psi without seriously bend over the Robot an exerting way more pressure than I did to get the same sort of shot profile on my former Cremina. The pre-infuse is about 10 seconds, yield 2 grams, the rest of the shot, using a declining profile the final 3rd takes about 30 seconds, including the pre-infuse.

I'll drag out a scale, but is there any chance my gauge could be blocked, clogged, etc? Having owned a Cremina, La Pavoni, etc it just seems like a whole lot more effort. If I loosen the grind, the shot gushes, and I never reach more than about 4.5 psi. at 5psi, the shots look beautiful and taste wonderful...so I'm just curious. Love my Robot.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com