Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 77

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Mar 21, 2019, 10:03 pm

barouet wrote:I use medium-light colombian beans, about 20 days old.

Well, 20 days is a bit "long of tooth", but that should only affect crema, not the pour so much. Hmm...you have 2 excellent grinders. That said, assuming they are both in good burr alignment, I'd have to say first check under the piston gasket and make sure it's clean underneath. It can get some "crud" under it, which might (not sure of this) cause the basket/PF to not be totally aligned when inserted.
Have you tried another, fresher coffee. Ive pulled 14 gram shots, but I ground finer, to get a bit more sweetness. I would say you may not be grindijng fine enough? I can tell you, it should take a good bit of effort to get a 6psi pull. I don't mean sweat inducing, but a good solid effort. I lean forward so as to use my should and neck muscles.

MOST importantly: Pre-infuse! Maybe around 1.5-2psi tops, it should be slow drips for 10 seconds, THEN proceed to pull...first getting to 6-7psi, then the last 3rd of the pull.....maybe at a weight of 22 grams on your scale (you're going for a 1-2 ratio?), lessen the pressure. This is a traditional lever style pulling profile.
Let us know if any of this works! Also, for grins, make sure there is no leftover grind in your grinders.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

barouet

Postby barouet » Mar 23, 2019, 1:53 pm

Thanks for your reply, turns out it was both because of old coffee beans and the fact that my Kinu doesn't grind fine enough to allow proper flow at 14g in the robot. Fresher beans and using the pharos in its finest zone solved the issue.

My dispersion screen doesn't sit perfectly on a 14g coffee bed, there's some play. I wonder if it's problematic and encourages channeling. Any idea?
LMWDP #585

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Mar 23, 2019, 1:59 pm

barouet wrote:My dispersion screen doesn't sit perfectly on a 14g coffee bed, there's some play. I wonder if it's problematic and encourages channeling. Any idea?

Possibly, although if preinfusion swells your coffee bed sufficiently, once you start your pull in earnest everything will tend to self-level automatically.
- John

LMWDP # 577

andersos

Postby andersos » Mar 24, 2019, 4:30 am

barouet wrote:Thanks for your reply, turns out it was both because of old coffee beans and the fact that my Kinu doesn't grind fine enough to allow proper flow at 14g in the robot. Fresher beans and using the pharos in its finest zone solved the issue.

I thought it was the other way around, the finer the grind, the slower flow. I have recently gradually gone up in grind size due to realizing my shots taste too sour (light roasted beans). I'm now up to 1.5 full revolutions on my Knock Feld2 with 18g dose. So I'm smack in the middle of the Espresso grind range for that grinder. I take about 50g shot from that. Of course with smaller dose the grind has to be finer.

yakster

Postby yakster » Mar 24, 2019, 9:39 am

barouet wrote:My dispersion screen doesn't sit perfectly on a 14g coffee bed, there's some play. I wonder if it's problematic and encourages channeling. Any idea?

Glad to hear you're solved the problem with fresher coffee and a different grinder. I've noticed the same thing with the screen and smaller doses but it hasn't been a problem for me with the extraction.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Kind_Karma

Postby Kind_Karma » Mar 24, 2019, 1:09 pm

barouet wrote:Thanks for your reply, turns out it was both because of old coffee beans and the fact that my Kinu doesn't grind fine enough to allow proper flow at 14g in the robot. Fresher beans and using the pharos in its finest zone solved the issue.

Interesting that your Kinu M47 is not grinding fine enough for a 14 gram shot. I do not have a Kinu M47 (yet), but it is highly regarded as more than capable for espresso and others have shared that the Robot may benefit from a slightly coarser ground which seems to be common for manual lever machines.

chsreason37

Postby chsreason37 » replying to Kind_Karma » Mar 24, 2019, 1:25 pm

Also find it odd because I use an M47 and have no problem choking the robot at any dose -- I've gone as low as 11g.

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » replying to chsreason37 » Mar 24, 2019, 1:54 pm

Getting a little OT -- maybe this conversational detour should go into an M47 thread? -- but perhaps good to remember there are two, maybe 3 generations of M47 with different fineness limits. Not to mention the possibility of slight burr misalignment on an individual grinder that will present most on fine grinds...though they do have a great reputation for high quality design, engineering, and construction.
- John

LMWDP # 577

barouet

Postby barouet » Mar 24, 2019, 3:49 pm

Just started a new thread focussing on my kinu m47 fineness. If you want to chime in, please do in this here Kinu M47 (2017) doesn't grind fine enough.

This morning shot on the robot using 16g with my kinu @ 0 was pretty good. Case almost solved ;-)!
LMWDP #585

adyu

Postby adyu » Mar 24, 2019, 7:26 pm

I've had my eye on the Robot for quite a while now, but I picked up a used Jura XS90 that just needed a deep clean for a pittance...and I'm a little upset at how solid it is.

Do you guys think I can beat a superauto like the Jura with the Robot and a Bplus Apollo? I quite enjoy the ritual of making coffee, but not at the cost of a superior cup.