Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 74

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
solesaram

#731: Post by solesaram »

GregoryJ wrote:Does anyone know the set screw specifications for the pressure gauge? Mine is badly stripped (not sure how I will remove it yet) and I want to replace it.
I'm not sure if it answers your question or not, but I noticed this video regarding pressure gauge cable modification was posted on the Cafelat Youtube account last week. I only watched a short part of it, but it looks like it goes into a lot of detail and so might mention the specs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njEDrwZkSmk

GregoryJ

#732: Post by GregoryJ »

solesaram wrote:I'm not sure if it answers your question or not, but I noticed this video regarding pressure gauge cable modification was posted on the Cafelat Youtube account last week. I only watched a short part of it, but it looks like it goes into a lot of detail and so might mention the specs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njEDrwZkSmk
Thanks! I did hear back from Paul that it's a 4mm screw that takes a 2mm allen key. Not sure on the thread pitch though.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#733: Post by jbviau »

For those interested, Mark Prince finally published his own "first look" at this machine. He's had it since December. Link: https://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/f ... ot/details

Prince seems to have independently discovered Sam's double pour technique, as I pointed out to him a while back.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

IMAWriter

#734: Post by IMAWriter replying to jbviau »

Well, better late than never.

IMAWriter

#735: Post by IMAWriter »

BTW, this might possibly be a useful tidbit: I believe I've "discovered" a good way to determine if you're tamp and filter screen placement is LEVEL.
Upon removing the PF post shot, take a cu-tip and slowly, gently go in a circular motion under the gasket, stopping to look at each side and front and back. Wherever the most "gunk" deposits, I'd guess that's how your tamp might have been "canted."
Oddly...or not, I find more often than not, the front side is clean, the rear side has a bit of accumulation. When I'm good, there hardly any grind under the gasket. Still, I'd recommend cleaning under the gasket maybe every 2-3 shots., especially if you find getting an 18 gram basket and water/PF inserted into the group.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#736: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Good advice. My pucks are never perfectly level, and I do get gunk under the gasket. I haven't bothered to "troubleshoot" this because the shots I'm pulling taste great!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#737: Post by drgary (original poster) »

A conversation started here that I've split off so it can be more easily found.

What about a 3D printed leveling tool for Cafelat Robot?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Paul_Pratt

#738: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Just a quick heads up regarding any discounted units taking into account blemishes or other such things as we have had so many emails since I posted about the difficulty with powder coating. The short answer is no we do not offer discounted items with defects - it does not make any sense if you manufacture items you would sell items with cosmetic defects, you just repair or redo! The only time I would guess people sell like that is if they just buy and sell and do not do any work on them.

We don't waste anything either, it all gets reworked and redone. For example with the defective powder coated Robot bodies I posted about a few weeks ago, I stripped the paint off and redid them and they turned out great (after a thorough purge and clean of the air tanks and fresh new powder).

On a different note I did make a single shot basket last week, a real 7g basket with a 40mm tamper. Not too bad will try and take a video of it in action. This is just a prototype at this stage and goves me something to work on.
★ Helpful

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#739: Post by samuellaw178 »

Paul_Pratt wrote: On a different note I did make a single shot basket last week, a real 7g basket with a 40mm tamper. Not too bad will try and take a video of it in action. This is just a prototype at this stage and goves me something to work on.
Oh, that's music to my ears! I have been making & drinking singles almost exclusively nowadays using the LM single basket, and was actually looking at ways to replicate that experience using a more portable device (that doesn't need heating up for random afternoon coffee).

If you ever need a second opinion or a beta tester/customer, you know you have one here! :lol:

Carneiro

#740: Post by Carneiro »

Single! Yeah!