Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 72

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ssxie

#711: Post by Ssxie »

Hi, had read thru the thread.
Does anyone know if I were to buy the pro basket barista set, and add on a pressurised basket, is the stainless steel scoop included? Thanks!

Balthazar_B

#712: Post by Balthazar_B »

@Paul_Pratt, just wanted to convey heartfelt thanks for bringing the wonderful Robot to market. Twice already this year it has come to the rescue when our electricity went out, and its espresso nourished our souls and got us out of our dark grumpery. Cheers!
- John

LMWDP # 577

yakster
Supporter ♡

#713: Post by yakster »

I purchased a pressurized basket after the fact and it came with the scoop, not sure if that's the rule or the exception though.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

IMAWriter
Supporter

#714: Post by IMAWriter »

Balthazar_B wrote:@Paul_Pratt, just wanted to convey heartfelt thanks for bringing the wonderful Robot to market. Twice already this year it has come to the rescue when our electricity went out, and its espresso nourished our souls and got us out of our dark grumpery. Cheers!
+ Infinity!!!

Paul, I'd say offer your (excuse the movie business term) "OutTakes"...your so-called less than perfect powder coats for a few quid less. I'd assume, under the powder coat is gleaming aluminium..as you blokes say?
With the understanding that it's "as is", I'd hope you'd sell them.....

If it helps, to ANYONE on the fence about this little gem...forget the "little" part...it makes BIG shots...as big as you would want volume and flavor-wise. Consistent, SWEET shots, beautiful pours, small learning curve...maybe 2-3 shots to get the grind right, and the timing. I'd say, though I have the pressure gauge, it's a lovely extra, but not necessary. You'll KNOW you're right when the flow is right, and you're in that 22-30 second range for 17 grams.
I'm truly over the top pleased with my Robot.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

Ssxie

#715: Post by Ssxie »

Yep, blemished blue /green/ yellow models at a discount price.. Don't waste the models.. Would get one! =) wouldn't be surprised if they have a version 2 down the road..

mivanitsky
Supporter ❤

#716: Post by mivanitsky »

I am loving my Robot, when I can get my hands on it.

I keep lending it to friends, who for some reason are in no hurry to give it back. I can't imagine why this is.

Perhaps I should buy another for myself.

Paul, thanks again for doing the serious work to create this thoroughly modern update to a wonderfully old design, and for having the patience to make it very nearly perfect.

Paul_Pratt

#717: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Ssxie wrote:Yep, blemished blue /green/ yellow models at a discount price.. Don't waste the models.. Would get one! =) wouldn't be surprised if they have a version 2 down the road..
No. The current version is done and will remain the same going forward. The regular Robot is the same now as the prototype many years ago and I do not plan on changing it. The only thing I have had to adjust is the pressure gauge tube on the Barista model.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#718: Post by baristainzmking »

Will there be a yellow robot again?
Julia

Paul_Pratt

#719: Post by Paul_Pratt » replying to baristainzmking »

It is not that popular. We had some requests, so I did some and they stayed up for ages. Happens all the time like that. I think the last went a few weeks ago. There are some yellows in the stock shipment for the Boston SCA show which was already picked up.

hercdeisel

#720: Post by hercdeisel »

A few thoughts from someone relatively new to espresso and completely new to levers of any form:

1. I'm very glad that I got a barista version for the gauge. As someone completely new to lever machines of any form, I had *no idea* how much effort it takes to exert 6-8bar pressure. The gauge is a really amazing learning tool.

2. I can't overstate how beautiful and well built this machine feels. It's awesome. This thing sparked a ton of interest from my kids. It's a very fun piece to have on the counter!

3. for pulling shots, I was working with a medium-light ethiopian bean when the robot arrived. With a pump machine, I had been grinding this *far* finer than other beans I've been working with, down dosing a 15g VST basket to around 14g, and turning up the temperature on my PID from about 196-198 to 204, with a pre-infusion time of about 9 seconds.

When I started tinkering with the Robot, I was pleasantly surprised that the Robot handled the coffee really well. I did filled a bowl with max-temp faucet water (about 120F) to pre-heat the basket, so not a 'cold' basket but not a real pre-heat in either of the recommended methods but a quick. it's also incredibly low effort. I had read in this thread that Robots like a coarser grind compared to other machines, but I didn't experience that yet. I actually thought the best shots off the robot used the same grind as my pump machine but with a different ratio of beans:coffee. On my pump machine, a standard 2:1 ish ratio worked well (14g in 28g out). On the robot, though, I found that my best shots were either longer brews with fewer beans (my favorite Robot shot was 11g in for about 26g out) or shorter brews with more beans (17g in 28g out). On the robot I generally work with about 10 seconds of preinfusion (putting enough pressure on the levers to make the needle on the gauge just barely budge, beads on bottom of portafilter show up soon thereafter).

Overall, I would say that the absolute best shot I've pulled with this coffee is on my pump machine but the worst shots I've pulled on the robot are middle of the pack shots on the pump machine. Really looking forward to working with some darker beans that are supposed to be more in the wheelhouse for the machine.

4. I absolutely cannot get over how clean the pucks come out of this thing. Half the time they just fall out of the basket before I even hit the knockbox. It's incredible.

5. Last, it's really fun to pull a shot on a manual machine!

Some questions:

1. I'm grinding with a 270wi, which I have come to really really love with my pump machine over the last few months. It's been great! The one thing I find awkward with the Robot is the portafilter doesn't seem to fit in an obvious way with the portafilter holder on the 270wi. As a workaround what I've been doing is putting the robot portafilter in the grind-bin that comes with the 270wi and opening the forks to the bin width (the portafilter actually fits across it just fine so it essentially floats as if it were a normal portafilter in position). Does anyone else have a more elegant solution?

2. I start to get a little nervous as I get to the end of pulling a shot that I'll somehow run the piston into the top of the dispersion screen (the little knob that sticks out of the top of the screen so you can hold the screen easily). Is there any real danger there? I fill the basket to within a few millimeters of the top of the basket each time. If I accidentally pulled a shot that got to the 'hissing' sound you get when clearing the chamber into a waste cup after brewing would that already risk damaging the piston? Or am I okay as long as I stop the moment i heard that hissing sound (I don't plan on pulling that far, I'm just more curious about going too far by accident and damaging the machine).