Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 70

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#691: Post by jpender »

In a video Paul produced he said that the Robot is "...essentially a toy" and that by pushing it too much "you might break something."

Here's the excerpt (@19:54 in the video):
So the operating pressure of our Robot, we're sort of recommending anywhere between 5 to 8 [bar] for your coffee. The tube [leading to the pressure gauge] is up to 20 bars, no problem. But you've got to remember this is basically, essentially a toy. So I'm saying that the best coffee and the operating range would be sort of 5 to 8, maybe 5 to 7. So you don't need to go completely crazy with this. I know it's fun but there's no need and you might break something.
★ Helpful

Paul_Pratt

#692: Post by Paul_Pratt »

hbk520 wrote:read the user manual about pressure' advice . ( between 6-7bar)
I was wondering , if I make a shot with 9 bar every day. Will it cause damage on structure or shorten service life of parts ?
There will be no difference to the parts, it was merely about traditional lever machines and their spring pressure which is actually much lower than 9 bars. Remember this is measured in the portafilter whereas a standard pump machine will take the measurement upstream. So 9 bar on an E61 gauge will be 1-1.5bar lower at the portafilter.
★ Helpful

Advertisement
hbk520

#693: Post by hbk520 »

drgary wrote:Would it shorten the life of the parts in any significant way? There are Olympia Express Creminas, similarly well made. If used for many years without lubrication and with strong pulls the back of the group head that holds the rear lever pin wears through. But the design is different. I feel no hesitation to do a firm pull on the Robot now and then and don't fear breaking it. I don't think that Paul has the time to watch this thread every day. He might be able to point out the stress points that would be prone to wear sooner.

Here's a question for Marc. What kind of shot are you trying to achieve with 9 bars of pressure? Have you tried achieving that type of shot any other way?
Thank you all your guy's reply.
Regading to your quesiton , I just only have a thought about limited pressure advice on user manual when I read.

hbk520

#694: Post by hbk520 »

Paul_Pratt wrote:There will be no difference to the parts, it was merely about traditional lever machines and their spring pressure which is actually much lower than 9 bars. Remember this is measured in the portafilter whereas a standard pump machine will take the measurement upstream. So 9 bar on an E61 gauge will be 1-1.5bar lower at the portafilter.
Thank you for your explanation, Paul.
The benchmark of measuring for pressue between pump machine and lever machine which did clear my blind side.

Kind_Karma

#695: Post by Kind_Karma »

Paul,
Do you know when you will have pastel blue barista Robots in stock?
Also, are all barista models now shipping with armor cables?

Has anyone received barista model with armor cable? I am wondering if it has eliminating the pinch of the tubing for gauge?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#696: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I eliminated the pinch on my tubing by making sure it was the right length, meaning it's long enough to flex but too short to be caught by the lever arms.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mcrmfc

#697: Post by mcrmfc »

Ladies and Gentlemen...the Acaia "Heath Robinson"...repurposed from my poor man's Gaggia Classic gravimetric system. Manual start...timer...flow detection...auto stop! And means you can do the samuellaw178 peer over at the pressure gauge and keep one eye on the scales and timer.

Advertisement
Paul_Pratt

#698: Post by Paul_Pratt »

I have uploaded a quick video of the workflow of pulling multiple shots, in this case 6 doubles in a row.
Also for the temp fetishists out there I have included an initial section showing the boiling temp of my kettle :lol: So the water poured into the basket is just off the boil and initially the Robot was not pre-heated just at room temperature.

Ssxie

#699: Post by Ssxie »

Hi does anyone know or have received their barista robots with the metal /armoured tubing for the pressure gauge already? Seems Paul have yet to update on that..

Paul_Pratt

#700: Post by Paul_Pratt replying to Ssxie »

It is written in the description on the store that it includes the metal sleeve. The sleeves have been shipping since the beginning of this year.