Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 68

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ursego

Postby Ursego » Feb 12, 2019, 8:18 pm

How many grams of beans maximum can you put in the basket of Cafelat? The manual says: "the maximum dose is somewhere around 21g". Is it possible to put more practically?

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Feb 12, 2019, 8:30 pm

This won't give you a number because I haven't tried it. Given the depth of the Robot's filter basket, it is possible to put in more, but why would you want to do so? The realistic limitation of overfilling the basket is lodging the dispersion screen so high that the piston would press against it at the bottom of the pull. If the screen is off center it could be damaged.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster

Postby yakster » Feb 12, 2019, 9:14 pm

Theoretically you could replace the screen with a paper filter and fill the basket with more coffee. I'm not sure the practical maximum, but I'm pulling 14 - 16 gram doses now anyway so no where near the max.

You may need to pre-heat more with larger doses.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Feb 12, 2019, 9:28 pm

Ursego wrote:How many grams of beans maximum can you put in the basket of Cafelat? The manual says: "the maximum dose is somewhere around 21g". Is it possible to put more practically?

FWIW, there are several variables that militate against strict weight rules:

• You'll find there'll be a different weight per coffee, depending on optimal brew parameters.
  • Every additional amount of coffee displaces an amount of water, and therefore impacts the concentration of the extraction.
  • Coffees have some variances in weight per volume, depending on density, fineness/coarseness of grind, etc.

It's necessary -- and fun -- to work on the Robot with your favorite coffees to coax the maximum goodness out of them as you move towards nirvana. Ultimately, it comes down to what *you* find you prefer.
- John

LMWDP # 577

jpender

Postby jpender » Feb 12, 2019, 10:15 pm

Ursego wrote:How many grams of beans maximum can you put in the basket of Cafelat? The manual says: "the maximum dose is somewhere around 21g". Is it possible to put more practically?

I think it makes more sense to talk about a maximum volume. Bean density is quite variable. A 21g dose of a dark espresso roast might be 65cm3 whereas a very lightly roasted coffee might be as low as 40cm3. It would be worth asking Paul Pratt what the actual limitation is. Or just try it.

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Feb 12, 2019, 10:31 pm

How many grams of beans maximum can you put in the basket of Cafelat?

Am I the only who took the question literally? :lol:

Just kidding! As mentioned by others, there is no hard and fast rule regarding the maximum dose. The higher the dose, the lower your maximum shot volume will be. So it's almost impossible to answer without knowing your target brew ratio. I would say if you're ok with ristretto-ish brew ratio going up to 25 g will likely be fine. If you want to make espresso syrup, you can even brave yourself to try 30 g dose (no, I haven't done that...).

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » replying to samuellaw178 » Feb 13, 2019, 12:30 am

:lol: Good one!
I see no reason why coffee dose in a Robot should be defined differently than any other machine type. It depends (IMO) on the bean, and one's taste preference. I've pulled coffees were a 1-2 ratio was perfect, others where a bit less output...say 1-1.75 was preferred. Even then, the actual grind weigh played into that. In other words, my current coffee likes a 17 gram dose, 1-2 ratio. But another likes an 18 gram dose, the same 1-2 ratio.
One of the Robot's strength for a "lever"...the 58mm basket, makes it easy early on...after a few shots, to dial in the dose AND ratio. For ME, easier than my previous 49mm machines. To be fair, the wonderful Strietman CT1 (49mm) was more forgiving.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Feb 13, 2019, 12:32 am

As to how much, I found it a wee bit harder to lock in with a 19 gram dose...and with 15% Robusta in the blend, I was "high" for about 15 minutes!! :lol:
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

yakster

Postby yakster » Feb 13, 2019, 12:34 am

You have to consider that the cylinder holds both the water and coffee so a some point you'll have little room left for water.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » replying to yakster » Feb 13, 2019, 7:05 pm

This is true.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com