Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 67

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Cigarman

Postby Cigarman » Feb 07, 2019, 10:20 am

Doesn't using paper filters stop the extracted oils from coming thru to the cup, reducing flavors?

sherrycobysam

Postby sherrycobysam » Feb 07, 2019, 11:02 am

I believe the filter would go on top, in lieu of a shower screen should it get lost before Paul has extras in stock.

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Feb 07, 2019, 11:25 am

Cigarman wrote:Doesn't using paper filters stop the extracted oils from coming thru to the cup, reducing flavors?

And it's a potentially healthier way to brew this way because those oils aren't good for heart health. (If anyone wants to explore this further, please start a new thread.)

The effect of espresso drinking on cholesterol
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Feb 07, 2019, 1:35 pm

drgary wrote:And it's a potentially healthier way to brew this way because those oils aren't good for heart health.

That's still, at best, a comment that's not even supported by that link you tend to drag up occasionally. Folks should see that side of the topic too, before suggesting it gets split off (which hasn't happened since 2009).

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » replying to TomC » Feb 07, 2019, 5:47 pm

Tom, if you have better or different information, please provide it. I am open to the best current information, whatever that is. I suggested splitting off such a discussion because it would be off topic in the Robot user experience thread.
Gary
LMWDP#308

hankua

Postby hankua » Feb 07, 2019, 10:11 pm

I tried using a paper Tiamo filter this morning with the Robot eliminating the metal screen. Somehow grinds migrated to the top of the filter paper, but the piston came out clean. Maybe the paper is a tad small? Paul should be able to source these in HK, otherwise I can mail him a box.

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Feb 07, 2019, 10:52 pm

Hank,

Thank you for getting us back on track. Paul was obviously referring to using the filter paper on top of the coffee puck.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Cigarman

Postby Cigarman » Feb 09, 2019, 10:46 am

Sorry about the question on paper filters removing coffee oils, I wasn't thinking straight.

Regardless of whether or not ingested oils are even remotely as harmful as the fats our bodies pruduce from ingested carbohydrates, life wouldn't be worth living without coffee so I'll just keep enjoying my Cafelat Robot User Experience!

OK, we're back on track...

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Feb 09, 2019, 3:17 pm

I just tried an AeroPress paper filter on top of the coffee bed, cut so it tightly fit the basket. Some coffee migrated to the top of the basket and some found its way to the bottom surface of the piston. It was easily cleaned off. I will try another shot using now shower screen or filter at all and will post about that here. I'm thinking that if the water is drained well from the coffee cake it won't leave a lot of residue and can be easily wiped off. In the worst case coffee grounds can get into the groove in the piston gasket, and you can use Q tips to clean that.

Trial and error result, at least if not pre-wetting the coffee very slowly: not using any shower screen or filter at all disrupted the coffee cake for a very uneven pull, and I wasn't pouring very fast. A "dispersion screen" is just that. Some kind of barrier really does help.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Mintyfresh

Postby Mintyfresh » Feb 11, 2019, 3:15 pm

Ive been getting great results just boiling water off the stove and using my hot water from my gaggia classic. Do you recommend i get an electric kettle to have more control over temp? Been using the robot everyday since recieving it. Im amazed by how consistent my shots are now! Such a joy to use!