Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 62

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IMAWriter

#611: Post by IMAWriter »

Mintyfresh wrote:Getting ready to make my purchase now that the barista version is back in stock. Ive read a couple posts since then about the shots being thinner then there home machine. Can anyone tell me how shots from the robot will be compared to a proper shot from a gaggia classic(only machine i have experiance with)? Im hoping to see an improvement with the robot and hoping i enjoy the more hands on experiance. Appreciate any advice!
Minty..I owned a Gaggia Classic (I repaired a broken one). Decent shots, but in my opinion, the shots from the Robot are WAY more consistent, sweeter, and with a blend using some DP coffees (a Brazilian, Sidamo, etc) the shots will have super nice mouthfeel and super crema. If you home roast, Sweet Maria's "Monkey Blend" works for me. There are also some excellent "Italian Branded" coffees containing 10-15% Robusta that will give you nothing but crema. I like Coffee Mio's "Espresso Mio."

I'd say my Robot shots are, on the whole as sweet as my Elektra MCAL were, and sweeter than my former Bezzera Strega...and that's saying a LOT.
Remember one thing: a "decent" consumer pump machine produces decent shots, other than in the hands of a Pro with a spectacular grinder. We home "baristas" can produce cafe quality shots...and longos, if preferred, with the Robot or the way more expensive manual and spring levers out there. A grinder like a Baratza Sette 270, or quality manual grinder will make this possible.
There are a LOT of HB'ers who will gladly purchase your Robot should you not find it every bit as rewarding as we do. Just sayin'!! :lol:
★ Helpful

Mintyfresh

#612: Post by Mintyfresh replying to IMAWriter »

Exactly what i was hoping to hear! Ive been wanting to up my quality of shots but started feeling like the classic was limiting me. I get decent shots paired with my lido e, but very inconsistent. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt taking a step backwards with the robot. Im not home roasting(yet) but will definitely look into the espresso mio. Thank you for taking the time to help with my decision! :D

NickD

#613: Post by NickD replying to Mintyfresh »

I'll second what Robert said: The Robot is much more capable at producing consistently delicious shots than the Gaggia Classic, which is hampered by it's lack of temperature stability. With medium roast coffee, I can usually get a tasty robo-shot without preheating routine; only boiling water is usually required. Clean up is a snap, too! For mornings where I'm the only one drinking coffee, it's easier for me to heat up water in an electric kettle and make robo-shots than it is to wait for the E61 heat exchanger to heat up, and I think the coffee is just as good and full-bodied. In fact, my robo-shots are typically sweeter than my E61 shots, although I think I can pick out more nuance from the E61.

Enjoy the robot!

Nick

mlunsford27

#614: Post by mlunsford27 »

For those who own the Robot, have you used it to make milk drinks? I'm considering the Robot and have an electric Bellman steamer and would want to make a cappuccino with it sometimes. Anyone had good results making cappuccinos with espresso from your Robot?

Javier

#615: Post by Javier »

mlunsford27 wrote:Anyone had good results making cappuccinos with espresso from your Robot?
I have, using a small French press. I heat the milk in the microwave to 65 degrees Celsius right before pullling the shot with the Robot. And then transfer heated milk to French press. There are several YouTube videos on how to use a French press (or plunger) to "microfoam" the milk. It works surprisingly well, and the milk is still relatively sweet.
LMWDP #115

MB

#616: Post by MB »

mlunsford27 wrote:For those who own the Robot, have you used it to make milk drinks? I'm considering the Robot and have an electric Bellman steamer and would want to make a cappuccino with it sometimes. Anyone had good results making cappuccinos with espresso from your Robot?
Yes, I do cappucinos and lattes with it, and it's as tasty for those as my lever machines.
LMWDP #472

skittles_s

#617: Post by skittles_s »

I made a very tasty shot of Heart Stereo with my Robot yesterday. Simple process: boil water and pour some into a demitasse and portafilter/basket; wait about 30 seconds and then dry demitasse and basket; dose/tamp, add water to basket, and pull the shot.

No fiddling or unnecessary histrionics. Those who like lighter-leaning, bright 3rd wave blends need not fear the Robot. It's simple and it's forgiving: thanks, Paul!

Marcelnl

#618: Post by Marcelnl »

I too started with a Gaggia Classic and I can vouch for the fact that the Robot will outperform it by a lot.

Bialetti sells milk foamers that operate like a french press but with a slightly different sieve, works fine when you heat the milk in the microwave or stove (take care not to overheat).

With a decent grinder and a Robot you won't suffer from upgraditis (or shouldn't have to), the result is amazing!
LMWDP #483

bluayeddvl

#619: Post by bluayeddvl »

having spent more than a few days reading so many posts, and digesting the opinions and information in them all, i have just ordered my own Robot.
quite looking forward to the journey with this simple, but terrific looking addition.
mrs preferred the green, so that's what i've (safely) ordered. she also seems to have expressed genuine interest in a white Niche Zero (that i will also end up paying for :wink: )

IMAWriter

#620: Post by IMAWriter »

Andrew, you will not be disappointed with the Robot, nor the green. It is more impressive in person. The build quality is quite impressive, up to Paul's high standards.
Idf it's not to late, I'd order maybe an extra Pro basket...just for the future. My screen is holding up well, I expect no issues there, though I know some folks do, just for down the road a couple years from now.
The extra basket is so you can grind 2 shots with that uber expensive grinder you're about to order!! Just heat the 2nd basket while pulling the 1st shot...then 30 seconds later, a quick wipe, and you can pour in the water, and go for another shot. I highly recommend an electric water kettle...mine doesn't have the temperature setting/keeping...wish it did, bit it only takes 15 seconds to reheat the kettle water after the PF/basket "bath."

Once your routine s down, it's just automatic...and surprisingly quick to prepare and pull your shot...
Cheers.