Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 61

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Paul_Pratt

#601: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Power Freak wrote:The new barista models seem to be in stock, does anybody have any idea when/if the armoured cables will be sold as an after-market upgrade? From an aesthetic perspective I just like the look of them.
I have been tinkering with the armoured hose now for a few weeks and actually sent some out before Christmas with it installed. I think I have the system figured out now, and how to anchor it to prevent it from flapping around and getting in the way of the levers.

I would like everyone to install it and we therefore would need around 400-500 armoured sleeves on hand. So bear with me for a few weeks.
stillnew wrote:Quick question, the basket's handle seems a bit slim from the photos, will it be safe to use with knock box for long-term? I'm worry that I might some how break the handle if using the knock box. Thanks in advance for all the info.
It is a solid stainless steel portafilter and the handle is part of the casting. I can't see how it could break. I actually think the portafilter is a bit too beefy, I would love to trim the weight down but we are as thin as we can without having the metal distort too much at the sanding and polishing stage.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#602: Post by drgary (original poster) »

For anyone wondering about build quality, Paul would be too modest to say this, but imagine something comparable to a commercial espresso machine made with the best materials, with high precision.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

stillnew

#603: Post by stillnew »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I have been tinkering with the armoured hose now for a few weeks and actually sent some out before Christmas with it installed. I think I have the system figured out now, and how to anchor it to prevent it from flapping around and getting in the way of the levers.

I would like everyone to install it and we therefore would need around 400-500 armoured sleeves on hand. So bear with me for a few weeks.

It is a solid stainless steel portafilter and the handle is part of the casting. I can't see how it could break. I actually think the portafilter is a bit too beefy, I would love to trim the weight down but we are as thin as we can without having the metal distort too much at the sanding and polishing stage.
Thanks for the assurance, Paul, and Gary. I'm definitely not questioning the build quality of the Robot, but I'm definitely questioning my dummy newbie abilities and judgment. I did break the anchor hinge of the Flair after 2 years of use...it's almost .25" (if not thicker) of steel. But lessons learned.

On a side note, does new order after since the restock come with the armor sleeve? Thanks.

Paul_Pratt

#604: Post by Paul_Pratt »

stillnew wrote:On a side note, does new order after since the restock come with the armor sleeve? Thanks.
I think a few went out with the sleeve before the holidays and all since have it.

stillnew

#605: Post by stillnew replying to Paul_Pratt »

Great, thanks. Looking forward to Mr. Robot.

Nate42

#606: Post by Nate42 »

Despite having heard everyone say so, you will still be amazed by how heavy and sturdy feeling that portafilter is once you hold it for yourself. Even if you were trying to damage it I think you would find it easier said than done.

pj.walczak

#607: Post by pj.walczak »

This is few weeks now with Robot Very happy weeks.
I travel with it a lot, and I use it in the late afternoon at home not to keep my LR on whole day, and also to use some darker coffees.
I have a question about the preinfussion, because I never got the nice sweating of the coffee on the whole surface of the basket, it always start in one point, looking like channeling. The point where coffee always start to appears is close to the center, between the center and the pressure gauge system mounting (I have the standard version). I wonder if this is something I should worry about? What might be the reason?
---

Pawel

IMAWriter

#608: Post by IMAWriter »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I actually think the portafilter is a bit too beefy, I would love to trim the weight down but we are as thin as we can without having the metal distort too much at the sanding and polishing stage.
NO!!!!!
Paul, it's perfect, inspires confidence, holds heat. Gary is correct, the Robot reflects beautiful, sturdy craftsmanship. Period.

Power Freak

#609: Post by Power Freak »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I have been tinkering with the armoured hose now for a few weeks and actually sent some out before Christmas with it installed. I think I have the system figured out now, and how to anchor it to prevent it from flapping around and getting in the way of the levers.

Thanks Paul, will keep an eye out in a few weeks.

And I second Robert's post: don't make the portafilter lighter! The solid construction makes the robot what it is (for me at least) a lighter portafilter/unit in general would make me associate the unit as being a "toy" or gimmick.

Mintyfresh

#610: Post by Mintyfresh »

Getting ready to make my purchase now that the barista version is back in stock. Ive read a couple posts since then about the shots being thinner then there home machine. Can anyone tell me how shots from the robot will be compared to a proper shot from a gaggia classic(only machine i have experiance with)? Im hoping to see an improvement with the robot and hoping i enjoy the more hands on experiance. Appreciate any advice!