Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 513

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
vit
Posts: 993
Joined: 9 years ago

#5121: Post by vit »

Well, based on various measurements on Robot and Flair classic, maximum achievable brew temperature around sea level is 92-93°C (for Robot, this includes preheating the piston as well). Several other manual espresso machines without own heater can't achieve even that. At 5000 ft water boils around 95°C, so it will be 87-88°C. That's what numbers say ...

Will it be enough for you or not, depends on several things ...

Miltonedgebert
Posts: 93
Joined: 2 years ago

#5122: Post by Miltonedgebert »

The blind shaker thread got me to experiment, and found a way to simplify my prep.
Put grounds in basket
Cover basket with palm and shake vertically 3-5 times
Tap/shake to rough level
Press metal screen down with thumbs

This has proved slightly more even than wdt, and takes less time.

sympa
Posts: 135
Joined: 1 year ago

#5123: Post by sympa »

This morning I poured the beans into a running grinder ("hot start") and shook the grounds. The result in the cup was spectacular. A huge jump in terms of flavor, without any addition of unpleasant notes. Really hit me in the face in a great way. I'm wondering now if this is a one-off god shot or something repeatable!

MountC
Posts: 2
Joined: 2 months ago

#5124: Post by MountC »

So it kind of sounds like an automatic is worth the money over a manual when at altitude.

ende42
Posts: 14
Joined: 8 months ago

#5125: Post by ende42 »

It's more a "actively heated" vs. "kettle driven" than a "manual" vs. "automatic" I think.

What I wonder ... @MountC said "taste is OK, americano got cool qickly". I can't imagine an americano being cold after pouring boiling water on an espresso. I'd say: try preheating the cup and adding boiling water as a first measure.

robotuser
Posts: 19
Joined: 3 months ago

#5126: Post by robotuser »

Miltonedgebert wrote:The blind shaker thread got me to experiment, and found a way to simplify my prep.
Put grounds in basket
Cover basket with palm and shake vertically 3-5 times
Tap/shake to rough level
Press metal screen down with thumbs

This has proved slightly more even than wdt, and takes less time.
Thanks for sharing. In the vertical shaking step do you get grounds stuck with your palm?

SchallUndRausch
Posts: 4
Joined: 2 months ago

#5127: Post by SchallUndRausch »

As I love wooden parts, I made myself a new base that also gives me more space for cups


jpender
Posts: 3899
Joined: 12 years ago

#5128: Post by jpender »

vit wrote:Well, based on various measurements on Robot and Flair classic, maximum achievable brew temperature around sea level is 92-93°C (for Robot, this includes preheating the piston as well).
I think that a claim like that has to be qualified in terms of the preheating methods used. Because it is certainly possible to achieve higher temperatures if, for example, you used a flame thrower. I'm being silly but not entirely. I experimented with preheating the portafilter by placing it directly over the flame of my stove. Not surprisingly that was significantly more effective than using boiling water or steam.

jpender
Posts: 3899
Joined: 12 years ago

#5129: Post by jpender »

SchallUndRausch wrote:As I love wooden parts, I made myself a new base that also gives me more space for cups


Beautiful work. How much clearance do you have from the top of your scale to the base of the Robot body?

Miltonedgebert
Posts: 93
Joined: 2 years ago

#5130: Post by Miltonedgebert »

robotuser wrote:Thanks for sharing. In the vertical shaking step do you get grounds stuck with your palm?
Maybe a little. It hasn't been enough for me to notice. If I did, I probably just brushed it off into the sink.