Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 502

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#5011: Post by jpender »

Jonk wrote:I have to weigh/measure the dose eventually anyway.
You never change the dose as a part of dialing in?

Jonk

#5012: Post by Jonk replying to jpender »

Rarely. I prefer to change the grind.

jpender

#5013: Post by jpender »

Me too. But sometimes a dose change works better. The coffee I'm drinking now, for example.

ojaw

#5014: Post by ojaw »

Fun thing today with Hedrick comparing the Robot, Aram and Flair 58.

TV33

#5015: Post by TV33 »

good morning,
perhaps this has already been said in this thread and I'm sorry if it has, but for those who use filter papers they make themselves, how do you proceed?

Jonk

#5016: Post by Jonk »

A 2.25 inch circle punch works for the top, 2 inch for the bottom but is a little oversized.

Chemex filters are fairly easy to punch, some are more troublesome.

jpender

#5017: Post by jpender »

ojaw wrote:Fun thing today with Hedrick comparing the Robot, Aram and Flair 58.
Interesting that Lance eschewed the preheat controller on the Flair 58 for a non-electric experience -- other than his electric kettle. His contention is that the Flair 58 is thermally stable without it based on a previous video where he "did a ton of Scace measurements on [the Flair 58] under different Scenarios". He actually did four measurements, basically 2 sets of 2: Two with the controller on full for at least 10 minutes; and two without the controller but with the brew chamber heated with steam on his electric kettle. The latter procedure sure didn't seem simpler to me. If I had a Flair 58 I'd want the electronics. Wouldn't you?

Blaine
Supporter ♡

#5018: Post by Blaine »

For filter papers, I use the EK Tools Circle Punch (1.75-Inch) that I bought off Amazon. It covers all the holes on the bottom of the PF basket, and works perfect. For filter papers, I am using Cafec T-92 filter papers, and each one allows for 8 espresso paper filters to be punched out. I have been very satisfied with the results. It struggles to punch only one filter paper, and works best if you stack 2-3 T-92 filters together. I prefer this since I then have 16 or 24 espresso filters in under a minute.

Ken5

#5019: Post by Ken5 »

jpender wrote:Interesting that Lance eschewed the preheat controller on the Flair 58 for a non-electric experience -- other than his electric kettle. His contention is that the Flair 58 is thermally stable without it based on a previous video where he "did a ton of Scace measurements on [the Flair 58] under different Scenarios". He actually did four measurements, basically 2 sets of 2: Two with the controller on full for at least 10 minutes; and two without the controller but with the brew chamber heated with steam on his electric kettle. The latter procedure sure didn't seem simpler to me. If I had a Flair 58 I'd want the electronics. Wouldn't you?
Was thinking the same thing!

It was a nice video, but I don't think it is fair to the 58 at all, especially if someone sees it for the first time. If his title of the video justified the fact that he hardly mentioned the heating element, even though he spent a lot of time on each machine's preheating routine, I think he should have either lowered the limit to the more expensive of the two other units and taken the 58 out, or raised the limit the 50 or so dollars and featured the 'most obvious' advantage of the 58 for more than a couple of sentences! I did appreciate his mentioning that to avoid the increase in temp at the end of the shot to shut it off just before the shot.

Ken

jpender

#5020: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:I did appreciate his mentioning that to avoid the increase in temp at the end of the shot to shut it off just before the shot.
On the one hand he said that the Flair 58 is the most thermally stable of the three. On the other hand he thought a slightly declining temperature profile was preferable. He took the brew chamber off, preheated it on a kettle, and (at least in the latest video) included preheating the portafilter.

Let's compare that to manually preheating the Robot.

I don't see a big difference. To be fair my measurements were not made with a Scace so direct comparisons of the absolute temperature are not fair. But the relative decline, the stability, is pretty much the same. The whole point of the Flair 58 is to make preheating simpler and more stable. But what he's doing looks about the same as, if not worse than, preheating a Robot.

Am I wrong? I could be.