Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 491

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ojaw

#4901: Post by ojaw »

I overpour in mostly the same manner as Ken, but I always tilt the basket as I'm pouring, and for some reason, hitting the edge of the basket almost always prevents the grounds making their way up past the screen.

Jonk

#4902: Post by Jonk »

I also let water flow over the sides of a tilted basket/portafilter. Do it over the drain or a large container. For me it's less awkward than a double pour. Either way, I think it's a good idea to use a wet aeropress filter underneath the shower screen to safeguard against disturbing the puck as well as keeping the piston, gasket and especially the pressure gauge tube clean.

Cafelat's own paper filters also work I guess, but the oversized aeropress filters form a good seal so you never get any fines above it. You can rinse, dry and reuse the filter many times if you wish.

mixespresso

#4903: Post by mixespresso »

Great tips. I will give it another go tomorrow morning. Thanks!

jpender

#4904: Post by jpender »

I do the more classic double pour most of the time when I preheat. I don't empty the basket completely of water, just 80-90% of it. And for whatever reason I don't have an issue with the puck getting disturbed. Maybe it's the kettle, the coffee/grind, or how I tamp, I'm not sure. But the water is usually pretty darn clear.

The overflow method results in a slightly higher shot temperature than a double pour.

mixespresso

#4905: Post by mixespresso »

I gave overflowing pre-heating another go today. No puck disturbance this time. I also poured hot water over the inside wall of PF before mounting the basket so all the walls get direct heat.
I prepared two shots with two different coffees, and the taste profile changed for both. Now, I have to figure out what I like and dislike

Ken5

#4906: Post by Ken5 »

I just pour right in the middle of the screen, usually a little slower for the first quarter inch than at the end, works fine for me.

John, I was thinking that the pour over method would be hotter than the dump, the dump gives it a chance to cool off/stop heating where as the pour over probably does exchange most of the water. Is there a reason you prefer the dump?

Ken

jpender

#4907: Post by jpender »

I don't know, less water I suppose. I'm not sure why the overflow method is hotter. I've thought it's just because there's more water involved but maybe it's because the PF gets some heating that way. The differences aren't huge. The overflow method produces shot temperatures somewhere in between a double pour and a double pour plus preheating the PF.

When I'm really trying to maximize the temperature I preheat the piston and PF and do a long overflow. But often I just want to push the temperature up a bit and a double pour achieves about 80% of what an overflow does.

Most mornings I don't preheat at all because it bugs me to have to do it. I instead buy coffee that doesn't require it, like what I'm drinking at this very moment.

mixespresso

#4908: Post by mixespresso »

I also gave heating the piston a go. It served 2 purposes, heating the piston and heating up the cup. I am not sure if I have got used to colder shots but it tasted a bit too hot for me!

YeetSkeeterson

#4909: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

I'm still thinking of pairing a Kafatek with my Robot, although it seems overkill...

Has anyone really "gone anywhere" after the Robot? In terms of perceived upgrade that is. I quite like the DIY aesthetic of doing things like preheating the piston using a precisely found glass, it all gives it so much personality that differs between each user.

With that said, for results in the cup, is getting a proper lever like the Cremina or Profitec a night and day difference?

I feel my Robot is precisely dialed for my needs... Preheat the piston using a well suited glass and boiling water, put basket on top of boiling kettle to preheat, RDT beans, tamp, you get the idea. After another comment on HB, my grinder (Kinu) is currently my weak link. I'm just kind of considering about upgrade paths, if any, after the grinder, since it's a behemoth expense that I want to ensure pairs nicely with any future espresso machines I buy.

Ken5

#4910: Post by Ken5 »

Why is your kinu a weak point? Thought it was a good choice for espresso? Is it a conical vs flat comparison?