Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 478

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#4771: Post by jpender »

ojaw wrote:I tap the basket against my hand in order to break up any errant lumps - this precludes any necessity for a distribution tool in my experience.
Errant lumps. That's not why I do it. I think. I'm pretty sure it's for another reason. What it is it again?

A rain dance. Last year, one time, when I danced it rained. Now I dance when we haven't had rain for a while.

Jonk

#4772: Post by Jonk »

I think the origin of the tap after WDT is that in a regular basket, the grounds are often too fluffy if you don't - sitting above the rim, usually requiring a dosing funnel. Tapping makes it easier to tamp straight and with less mess.

In a Robot basket that's obviously not the case. But, after WDT the bed can look a bit uneven: with (slightly) high and low spots as after a miniature rake. That's why I tap, to achieve a more uniform surface to tamp on. Does it make a big difference? Probably not. Could be counter-effective even if the tap is not straight. Feels good though* :wink:

*same debate can be had about the milk pitcher. I think a majority will tap firmly to break up the few bigger bubbles that can form on the top. I've seen the argument that it's separating the foam that you just worked hard to incorporate. But hey, it's satisfying.

bringyoutomyhell

#4773: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

In my experience WDT helps a lot, and also I don't tap, not even with my pump machine, because I found that that could lead to uneven puck (it's very easy to tap at an angle)

TV33

#4774: Post by TV33 »

With apologies if this has already been asked, but does this product fit in the Robot basket?

bringyoutomyhell

#4775: Post by bringyoutomyhell replying to TV33 »

Nope, Robot basket is smaller, you need a 57,5mm one

TV33

#4776: Post by TV33 »

merci

TV33

#4777: Post by TV33 »

thank you, I thought I could use it both in my Robot and in my Rocket Appartamento ... it's missed.

Jonk

#4778: Post by Jonk »

You've already got a puck screen included with the Robot though. Not sure what you want the mesh for - but if you want extra protection for the puck, a paper filter underneath does the trick. Those can be dried and reused many times so it's not very wasteful. I use wet aeropress filters.

TV33

#4779: Post by TV33 »

That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I thought the metal washer would save me from having to stock up on paper. There must be some material to cut these washers, but I didn't find it here in France.

jpender

#4780: Post by jpender »

Jonk wrote:...after WDT the bed can look a bit uneven: with (slightly) high and low spots as after a miniature rake. That's why I tap, to achieve a more uniform surface to tamp on. Does it make a big difference? Probably not. Could be counter-effective even if the tap is not straight. Feels good though* :wink:
I think a straight downward tap won't redistribute so much as simply compress in place, much like a light tamp. A tap on the side might move things laterally but only in one direction. I used to spin and shake side to side repeatedly to even things out but now I just spend an extra second or two grooming the top. Probably I'm not doing it right.

I still tap though. My thought is that by tapping the grounds will settle and less will get blown around the tamper or stick to the sides of the basket, resulting in cleaner water above the screen. I don't think less than perfectly clear water above the screen really affects the shot though. It's just cleaner. OCD.

But just a bit ago I did one shot with the tap and one without and the untapped one actually had slightly cleaner water. So why am I tapping? I swear it helped in the past. At least once. I'm going to keep doing it. It feels good.