Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 466

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#4651: Post by baristainzmking »

I love the red one. ;).
Julia

ojaw

#4652: Post by ojaw »

I believe most of us love the one we're with.
Mine's blue.

MB

#4653: Post by MB »

If I didn't have the polished aluminum one, I'd get the red one because life is too short to care what others think. But, since you're asking, get the black one. Just kidding, I like them both and would have a hard time choosing.
LMWDP #472

Jonk

#4654: Post by Jonk »

It's difficult to judge from pictures. I didn't really like the green color, so bought a white to replace it.. But kept the green in the end. If you don't have the opportunity to see the colors in person, you'll just have to guess.

bringyoutomyhell

#4655: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

I was lucky enough to get a cream white before it was discontinued. I don't really like the matte grainy texture of the black one. I would probably get the red now. It's a color that fits well with coffee and coffee equipment in general

jedovaty

#4656: Post by jedovaty »

Back to coffee after 5 year hiatus. User experience follows: there's an earlier video in this thread where Paul casually pulls a shot without any effort or meticulous prep and that was most convincing. Although dialing in an OG hg-one is a pain, thankfully the barista robot is very forgiving :) I put the spout on in frustration after multiple spritzes sprayed my glasses, in order that I wouldn't fall into chasing the grind trap. It does get in the way with using a scale + cup, so I put the scale aside and took a more casual approach to the whole routine.. eyeball by volume, don't count the time, no muss, no fuss, works surprisingly well. I'm generally against ignorance but here it is helpful! :mrgreen:

Level tamper is most useful! Bamix makes good microfoam.

Finally, if I were making beverages for more than one person, I'd definitely get more than one basket.

I've modded my robot with the only one and necessary mod.
★ Helpful

Ken5

#4657: Post by Ken5 »

I have been reading about Passenger coffee for a long time, but I have never felt comfortable ordering it due the Robot and light roasts. Has anyone used Passenger beans with your Robot? If you have a more capable 'light roast' machine how does it compare to what you get from your Robot?

I emailed Passenger and they recommended Montecarlos, Stowaway, Cusco when I said I don't have the right equipment for light roasts. Are even these roasts too light for the Robot?

Thanks!

Ken

mbroder

#4658: Post by mbroder »

Hello,

I am 2 months into the espresso world and finally figured out how to pull good shots from my cafelat robot a few weeks ago, and REALLY good shots 4 days ago. Today however I am experiencing the water just flowing right around the edges of the basket and lifting the puck up. After so many failed shots of trying different grind settings I have to conclude there is something wrong with the Robot itself.

Perhaps I warped the basket? Perhaps something is wrong with the pressure gauge? I notice a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the pressure gauge about halfway through pulling a shot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS - I just ordered a new basket through Prima Coffee Equipment. If anyone else could confirm they use a basket from there with no issues that would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken5

#4659: Post by Ken5 replying to mbroder »

The basket that Prima sells is the real deal, so IF the issue is the basket then you would be okay.

You say that the water is flowing around the edges of the basket, do you mean that the water is leaking down the portafilter as you are pulling the shot? If so sounds more like an unseated gasket to me.

Or... is it just that when you remove the portafilter from the Robot that the puck is up a bit on one side? This would be normal as the backwards pressure from lifting the arms will disturb the puck. There is a video from Paul, owner of Cafelat, that shows what happens during the shot through a clear acrylic portafilter/basket combo.

Jonk

#4660: Post by Jonk »

The lifting part is conjecture. You can't see what happens inside the basket during the shot and it's probably not what you think.

Flow on the outside very much sounds like a problem with the gasket. Pop it off, clean it and maybe apply some lubrication.
Ken5 wrote:If you have a more capable 'light roast' machine how does it compare to what you get from your Robot?
In my experience, all you need is a grinder suitable for light roasts. The Robot is capable of high enough brewing temperatures.