Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 452

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jonk

#4511: Post by Jonk »

The tube can apparently break if you try to remove it from the fittings, so one way to avoid replacing it is to unscrew the top fitting from the gauge and flush it with water from there.

I believe old gunk won't find it's way down into the cup, but still feel better knowing that my tube is more or less clean. One reason for using a paper filter on top of the puck.

nameisjoey

#4512: Post by nameisjoey »

Anyone here using a paper filter at the bottom of their basket?

I bought a 1.75" hole punch and have used some Aeropress filters to cut down. Fits the bottom of the basket really well. I'm drinking a light medium anaerobic coffee right now and when combined with the paper filter allows me to grind really fine. This gives me a great extraction without having to pre heat much, if at all. Also, I've noticed it really cuts down on any channeling on sporadic spritzers.

Advertisement
bringyoutomyhell

#4513: Post by bringyoutomyhell replying to nameisjoey »

Yep, I always do for light roasts. I also go a little over, 51mm is what apparently gives the maximum EY (even if it creases a little on the sides). I use a circular cutter

Kinukcafe

#4514: Post by Kinukcafe »

Question for the Robot users using Niche Zero please.

My NZ is on the way, is there any NZ accessories either in general or specific to Robot you recommend? Thinking of workflow improvement or aesthetic reason. Thanks.

Jonk

#4515: Post by Jonk »

You don't need anything else, the Robot's basket is a perfect fit if you want to grind directly into it instead of the cup.

Well, if you really want to get the last 0.1-0.2g or so you can buy a coaster and use as light bellows, I use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfteeth-Viny ... ICGSMZMRNO
Mostly a way to keep your counter clean.

Kinukcafe

#4516: Post by Kinukcafe »

Thanks. Great to know I can grind directly to the PF of robot.

How can you use a coaster as a bellows?

Jonk

#4517: Post by Jonk »

That coaster is made of flexible rubber, fits perfect on the funnel and forms a seal. Just pop it on and push on the hole in the middle. It's a bit silly with a grinder that normally doesn't need bellows, but still kind of nice to get every last bit in the basket. You could just dump the small pile that will drop down eventually of course.

Advertisement
nameisjoey

#4518: Post by nameisjoey »

For those of you interested - Orphan Espresso just released custom cut paper filters for the bottom of the Robot basket. They're really doing everything they can to improve on consistency and simplicity of workflow to provide a potentially better and more consistent cup. I appreciate that effort for sure.

Curious to see how these are compared to cutting ones myself with an Aeropress paper and a 1.75" hole punch. I just started doing this a week or so ago and so far am really enjoying the results.

jz_coffee

#4519: Post by jz_coffee »

I have been using their self leveling tamper and puck rake and really enjoying the work flow. These filters are just a smidge bigger than the 1.75" whole punch @ 1.82". Got to love these guys though- at $5 per 100 pieces, they are clearly doing this because they are passionate about the robot, not money.

jpender

#4520: Post by jpender »

They're a business, why wouldn't they care about money? Prima charges only a little more for Robot papers and Cafelat charges less. Aeropress papers are about 3X less expensive.

I'm glad OE is filling a vacant niche. It's cool. But I doubt it's charity.