Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 451

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#4501: Post by jpender »

Jonk wrote:The Aeropress doesn't have a shower screen so at least unmodified a Robot does "filter 2.0" better and you don't need to fight a sticky seal. I have tried it with good results, but it's a lot of effort* so that kind of defeats the purpose.
That makes sense. The Aeropress wouldn't have that cleaner water to press out the shot after the steep time is done.

One thing about Brian's video. He kept saying that the Thundies made the shot a lot hotter but didn't really quantify that. In my tests I typically stopped measuring after 35-40 seconds. Even with a preheated piston the temperature still declines and the rate of decline depends on how you preheat it. Some piston preheat methods I tried were better than others. So what's the temperature two minutes later when he finally pushes out the shot? I don't know but it could easily be under 80°C. Does that matter for a Filter 2.0 shot?

nameisjoey

#4502: Post by nameisjoey »

Jonk wrote: *after watching the "thundies" video, I see he was grinding finer and so the shot is more convenient. I was holding the arms still for 90 seconds because the weight of the piston and arms would've pushed water through at the grind I needed to keep the pressure as low as I liked. Even half a bar is quite a lot for this kind of shot AFAIK.
If I recall correctly, Lance Hedrick had mentioned on Scott's post he typically gets around 20g of liquid dripping out by the end of the 90 second bloom. The rest comes out in the final 30 ish seconds. So far I'm still trying to find that point, it's much coarser than I would have thought. I do a quick press and that saturates the puck and then let the arms sit on their own like Brian did. Today I got about 11g out by that point and found it was much less astringent and pretty clean.

jpender wrote:Does that matter for a Filter 2.0 shot?
His recent recipe actually has a declining temperature. So if you preheat correctly, I feel like the robot's heat dissipation works perfectly for this.

Here is his decent profile. More info on his IG post -

As I've dialed this in a bit more, I really do enjoy the cups I'm getting. I feel like with something a bit lighter it would be even better. They're very clean but also flavorful. I would say they're a little better than what I get from my Hario Switch & on par with what I get from my Aeropress. The switch has always been a little finicky for me but I love my Aeropress.

This is just a fun way to use the robot and I enjoy getting a larger cup to drink sometimes.

Advertisement
Jonk

#4503: Post by Jonk »

nameisjoey wrote:More info on his IG post -
From that post:
Pressure never rises above 0.3 bar.

-When dialing in, if pressure never rises at all, grind finer. If pressure exceeds 0.3 bar during the last few seconds, grind coarser.
I modeled my trials after
(seeing him do it on a Flair 58 encouraged me to try it on the Robot)

His take on the profile is even slower, about 1ml/s and that seemed like a good minimum flow. The grind was pretty much around allongé for me, and while I thought it was possible to get very nice cups*, I found it just as sensitive to dial in. A little bit too fine and I got muted flavor, slightly too coarse it'd taste weak.

In comparison, regular pour over is not nearly as fussy. In contrast to their recipes I preferred to let everything drip through (more like 1:5).

*more to my liking than regular Aeropress, which I've never really cared for. I think in part due to relatively high pressures (compared to regular filter).

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#4504: Post by mgrayson »

I'm a bit late to this party. Sipping my first pull from the Robot. George Howell Tarrazu Espresso. Probably peaked briefly at 8 bars. Delicious! Too busy to notice much else. Weight? Volume? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sold.

Matt

jpender

#4505: Post by jpender »

nameisjoey wrote:His recent recipe actually has a declining temperature. So if you preheat correctly, I feel like the robot's heat dissipation works perfectly for this.

Here is his decent profile. More info on his IG post -

I gave this a try this morning mainly just to see where the temperature of the water was after two minutes. I don't have an embedded probe at the moment so I pulled the portafilter off of the Robot after 120 seconds and stuck a probe into the water. For my setup it was about 83°C which was better than I was expecting and about what Rao's profile is at that time. It would have been a declining temperature instead of the flat one in Rao's Decent profile but otherwise spot on.

I don't have the Thundies so I used a larger plastic cup and approximately three times as much boiling water. After adding the 250g of boiling water to my cup it measured about 94°C. In Brian's video he measured 88°C water. But it might not matter that much. It's hard to say. I also steamed my entire portafilter and basket in a big steamer pot for about 5 minutes so it was quite toasty.

Unfortunately the only coffee I have at the moment is some 7 month old Lavazza Super Crema that I don't really like. I've been pulling a ristretto, diluting it into an Americano, and eating something sweet with it in order to make it palatable. So a two minute steep combined with a 1:3 ratio didn't produce a very delightful tasting cup. :-)

nameisjoey

#4506: Post by nameisjoey »

jpender wrote: I gave this a try this morning mainly just to see where the temperature of the water was after two minutes. I don't have an embedded probe at the moment so I pulled the portafilter off of the Robot after 120 seconds and stuck a probe into the water. For my setup it was about 83°C which was better than I was expecting and about what Rao's profile is at that time. It would have been a declining temperature instead of the flat one in Rao's Decent profile but otherwise spot on.

I don't have the Thundies so I used a larger plastic cup and approximately three times as much boiling water. After adding the 250g of boiling water to my cup it measured about 94°C. In Brian's video he measured 88°C water. But it might not matter that much. It's hard to say. I also steamed my entire portafilter and basket in a big steamer pot for about 5 minutes so it was quite toasty.

Unfortunately the only coffee I have at the moment is some 7 month old Lavazza Super Crema that I don't really like. I've been pulling a ristretto, diluting it into an Americano, and eating something sweet with it in order to make it palatable. So a two minute steep combined with a 1:3 ratio didn't produce a very delightful tasting cup. :-)
I'm sure that wasn't very yummy, but sounds like you used it as an opportunity to gather some data - thanks for sharing.

I used my Thundies last night on some decaf and this morning on Verve sermon. Definitely helps in warming things and it's very easy to use. For lighter coffees I could easily add this to the workflow if necessary without much fuss.

This mornings filter 2.0 with sermon was very good, everything I look for in a cup of filter coffee. I have a 1.75" hole punch coming in tomorrow to make bottom filters much easier.

nameisjoey

#4507: Post by nameisjoey »

For anyone interested in my current workflow, you can see it here https://tinyurl.com/Robotworkflow

Advertisement
ojaw

#4508: Post by ojaw replying to nameisjoey »

Thanks - with a dark roast like that is all that preheating necessary?

nameisjoey

#4509: Post by nameisjoey replying to ojaw »

No, not at all. I just like my espresso piping hot so I can enjoy it over a longer period of time. So I like to preheat the spouts and my cup to be very hot.

jgood

#4510: Post by jgood »

Did something stupid -- Half asleep I attempted to pull a shot without the disk on top of the ground coffee so some wet coffee ground muck went in the hole in the piston where the pressure gauge gets it reading from. I attempted to clean it out with a rolled up piece of paper towel - but should I be concerned? Should I pull the piston and attempt a better cleaning or not worry? The pressure gauge seems to work. Help! Feeling like an idiot!!!