Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 45

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
happycat

#441: Post by happycat »

bgn wrote:You think? A hundred percent increase? (I'm in Canada also). Are there any Canadian buyers that can confirm their final cost?
Seems a fair estimate

Add Base price + shipping in USD. 310+60=370
Convert to CAD using xe.com. =493
Multiply by your BC sales tax (12%) =552
Add Fedex brokerage fee (30$) =582

And that's the non barista version
For barista, add $80 CAD + 12% tax

As an alternative, check out the manual lever at u-roast-it which is in your province
LMWDP #603

Power Freak

#442: Post by Power Freak »

My robot arrived to the UK with a customs bill much lower than I was expecting, the declared value on the paperwork was quite a bit lower than the actual cost which reduced it I believe.

(Not saying that everybody would get low customs charges, in my experience it's luck of the draw. So if the max customs charges makes it too expensive for you I wouldn't risk it.)

My espresso grinder is currently being lent to a friend so I haven't had a chance to play yet. The build quality is very very high though and with a design like this there's very little to go wrong. Looking forward to making some tasty spros out of it.

Balthazar_B

#443: Post by Balthazar_B »

Power Freak wrote: My espresso grinder is currently being lent to a friend so I haven't had a chance to play yet. The build quality is very very high though and with a design like this there's very little to go wrong. Looking forward to making some tasty spros out of it.
Lewis, if you're champing at the bit, and want to learn a bit about your machine while your grinder is elsewhere, why not have one of London's excellent purveyors of coffee grind up 250g so that you can test various doses on the Robot. With a "normal" espresso grind, you should be able to find the proper corresponding weight (between 12-18g) for good results pretty easily. Or if you already frequent a particular establishment, perhaps the owner -- if he or she is a coffee nerd -- would be interested in seeing the little gem and what it can do, and invite you to bring it in?

In real life, of course, you'd likely do the inverse, finding the right grind for a target weight, but this would be a fast and inexpensive way to experience what the Robot can do.

Cheers!
- John

LMWDP # 577

Power Freak

#444: Post by Power Freak replying to Balthazar_B »

I have my OE Lido 3 in the office so will grab it tomorrow, should be good enough in the interim until I get my Pharos back!

Cheers!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#445: Post by drgary (original poster) »

happycat wrote:Seems a fair estimate

Add Base price + shipping in USD. 310+60=370
Convert to CAD using xe.com. =493
Multiply by your BC sales tax (12%) =552
Add Fedex brokerage fee (30$) =582

And that's the non barista version
For barista, add $80 CAD + 12% tax

As an alternative, check out the manual lever at u-roast-it which is in your province
Yes, you have increased costs that no one would dispute, but is conversion to the Canadian dollar one of them? Something bought from an international seller directly undergoes conversion from their currency to the Canadian dollar. Wouldn't the correct calculation be something that would convert the CAD back to USD? I'm rounding numbers slightly for this estimate. The exchange rate varies anyway. That would be about $437 USD today. So the difference between what's being paid importing to the US and Canada would be the BC sales tax and Fedex brokerage fee of about $67 USD. That's about an 18% increase over US importation. Not cheap but not 100%. Feel free to check my math.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Barb
Supporter ♡

#446: Post by Barb »

Ackbeth, I don't have the expertise as so many of our colleagues here on this list. But I find that it IS the grind:dose that determines if I am choking Lil' Guy, ( My Robot) making me use really heavy pressure.

Smaller dose and / more coarse grind makes the pull easier. But as already commented here, and part of the fun is that there is no pat formula since your dose/grind ratio will vary with the type of coffee and even age of the beans. I am not sure if humidity or dryness In your environment may also have a small effect

Power Freak

#447: Post by Power Freak »

Balthazar_B wrote:Lewis, if you're champing at the bit, and want to learn a bit about your machine while your grinder is elsewhere, why not have one of London's excellent purveyors of coffee grind up 250g so that you can test various doses on the Robot. With a "normal" espresso grind, you should be able to find the proper corresponding weight (between 12-18g) for good results pretty easily. Or if you already frequent a particular establishment, perhaps the owner -- if he or she is a coffee nerd -- would be interested in seeing the little gem and what it can do, and invite you to bring it in?

In real life, of course, you'd likely do the inverse, finding the right grind for a target weight, but this would be a fast and inexpensive way to experience what the Robot can do.

Cheers!
Popped home over my lunch break to try out the little fella... Squaremile red brick coffee ground with my OE Lido 3: didn't get the grind setting quite right on a first attempt. Ended up being more of a lungo at 17.5g coffee in and 50g coffee out (pull time 30s at 6 bar pressure according to the gauge) but I am impressed by the taste, certainly had much worse shots from cafes in the past. The apple sweetness really punched me in the face, didn't really get any bitterness/sour notes.

With a bit more practice and a proper grinder I have pretty high hopes.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#448: Post by baristainzmking »

Just received the robot that I ordered for my son and his girlfriend and guess what?!? He asked for something else!!!! Now I have the aluminum robot, barista version and I am not even sure if I want to unpack it. Children.....
Julia

Javier

#449: Post by Javier replying to baristainzmking »

Sell the children, and keep the robots. :D :D
LMWDP #115

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#450: Post by baristainzmking replying to Javier »

Now there is a thought!!!
Julia