Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 394

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mikelipino

#3931: Post by mikelipino »

jpender wrote:Not much chance of that:
Well done!
jonk wrote:There's certainly merit to a steeply declining temperature as well as an option.
I've heard the same. Since the traditionally unwanted extractables come late in the extraction (acidity > sweetness > bitterness/astringency), a declining temp profile would help keep them out of the cup. A side by side would help see if this is true!

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#3932: Post by mdmvrockford »

mikelipino wrote:It's been quiet on the Robot thread. Is it because you all have moved to something better or because it just works and there isn't much to discuss? For me it's definitely the latter.
Perhaps at 394 pages and 3930 replies in this thread there is not any "stones left to turn over" :wink:

As you have experienced, Cafelat Robot with great beans, experienced barista and a great grinder produces reference level espressos (any brew ratio). And with preheating (IME beneficial) will produce reference level espresso with even light roasts. Preheating (IME) is not needed for medium to dark roasts.
LMWDP #568

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
vladgiurgiubv

#3933: Post by vladgiurgiubv »

Maybe we should make a TLDR of this thread :D

Mister Fox

#3934: Post by Mister Fox »

I received my red robot about a week ago along with a 1Zpresso J-Max. Both are great little pieces of engineering and the build feels very solid. It is my first ever espresso machine.

I've been trying to get a good shot now for as long as I've had the robot. Most turn out sour though. Latest beans tried is a local roasters dark roast espresso. Best shot was at 140 clicks (I know this differs but just for reference), 16,3g if beans in with 47,3g espresso out after 10sec pre infusion/45sec total at 6-8 bars, water straight off the boil. Tried going a little finer but ended up with a longer shot and it turned out more sour. I tried pre heating, finer, coarser and so on but no, still sour.

Anyone got any good tips for me to sort this out? So far been through a lot of beans without any satisfying results...

TomC
Team HB

#3935: Post by TomC »

Mister Fox wrote:
Anyone got any good tips for me to sort this out? So far been through a lot of beans without any satisfying results...

Cut your dose down more/grind finer, or change your coffee.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Ad-85

#3936: Post by Ad-85 »

As @TomC said go finer. I used to flip the basket over my kettle's lid and preheat the piston with a cup even with a dark roast. Don't be afraid of more shot time + higher peak pressure (I used to go to 11 bars with great results). The robot works well with dark roasts if you heat the basket/piston and used boiling water. Enjoy your coffee
LMWDB #691

Mister Fox

#3937: Post by Mister Fox »

Goding finer in grind makes the pressure go up quite a lot. But that does not matter then? I've been avoiding it to stay within 6-8.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#3938: Post by mdmvrockford »

Mister Fox wrote:Going finer in grind makes the pressure go up quite a lot. But that does not matter then? I've been avoiding it to stay within 6-8.
No, it does not matter. http://www.cafelat.com/robot.html
Below is from Cafelat uri
A quick recap on safety for the users with pressure gauges. I recommend you using the machine in the 5-8 bar range for extraction. I know it must be tempting to go full blast and try and max out the gauge :) but please don't. Try and keep to a maximum of 8 bar. I routinely test and try and destruct the Robots well over 14 bar but only for brief moment. The stainless arms will no doubt take all you can give them, but the main body is aluminium and you risk breaking it (even though I have yet to do so). If you use it in that range you will get many shots from it as I have done.

I have been using Robot barista since May 2021. I get my wife an occasional light-roast drip brew bean. And for these light roasts (not meant for espresso but I brew once or twice from each bag as challenge) I need to get to 12-14 bar to avoid super sour espresso. No issues with Robot. To be clear, I mention this as to tell that Robot can handle much higher pressures. I do NOT recommend you do this regularly as a lot of effort and would put strain on wear parts.

From my experience, medium dark to dark roasted beans do not need preheating. Examples of such beans: George Howell "Alchemy", Dragonfly Roasters "Vesuvius", Dark Matter Coffee "A Love Supreme"
LMWDP #568

ojaw

#3939: Post by ojaw »

After preinfusion do you reef on the arms right away? I find that a really slow ramp up brings good results.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3940: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Mister Fox wrote:Goding finer in grind makes the pressure go up quite a lot. But that does not matter then? I've been avoiding it to stay within 6-8.
You downdose to achieve a reasonable pressure as you grind finer.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!