Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 390

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ken5

#3891: Post by Ken5 »

Last night the gasket looked shiny and wet when I reapplied the lube. Even saw texture left by fingerprints on the gasket and the layer was thin. This morning the gasket looked great with an even sheen, no greasy look at all.

Biggest difference I noticed with this mornings shot was when 'removing' the basket, came off much smoother. I should have lubed when I took the gasket off the other times to rinse off. I can definitely see how this would help keeping the gasket seated better when pulling the basket off the gasket. Coolbeanz, I should have followed your advice sooner.

nismohks88

#3892: Post by nismohks88 »

Hi
I bought one of those yagua scales for my robot. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254654781377

The timer stops once the weight changes so the timer is pretty useless. Is this normal ?

thanks

Advertisement
mikelipino

#3893: Post by mikelipino »

According to the an Amazon listing for what appears to be a rebranded update from Weightman, the timer stopping may have been an issue with an older model "Independent Timer - Upgraded independent design, make the time won't stop counting even when you take away the coffee cup". I have the Weightman, and it's my go-to scale for the Robot.

Ken5

#3894: Post by Ken5 »

I just looked that scale up and the many places that sell it clearly state that the timer and scale work independently of each other.

I have a Maxus scale that looks similar and my timer is totally independent of the scale. Press timer button for on/off/reset. That is it.

This guy, the video that turned me on to the Maxus shows his timer 'stops' when weight is removed. Glad mine does not do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08aFsKuT0s Timer discussion at 3:25.

You say the your timer stops when the weight changes. Is this happening when you lift the cup off like in the video, or stops when the cup begins to fill?

nismohks88

#3895: Post by nismohks88 replying to Ken5 »

It stops when the cup begins to fill, which is annoying.

Ken5

#3896: Post by Ken5 »

That would be annoying.

If you just bought it I would say contact the seller and ask to return it. I would think/hope that they would pay return shipping since it does not operate like the description states. Even the eBay ad that you linked to here clearly states that the timer and scale work independent of each other.

If they take it back and you otherwise like the scale consider the weightman or the Maxus. They look exactly the same, and are half the price of the one in that ad.

nismohks88

#3897: Post by nismohks88 »

It actually works now but the timer stops if there is a large change in weight. So if I swirl a v60 the timer will stop

Advertisement
Jonk

#3898: Post by Jonk replying to nismohks88 »

That is the intended behaviour. It's meant for espresso, where seconds can be important. Remove the cup, timer stops. I've got the JoeFrex branded scale that shares the same behaviour. It's a bit small anyway for use with pour overs in my opinion.

YeetSkeeterson

#3899: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

Does anyone regret, or not feel as enthusiastic, about purchasing a mid-higher end grinder for their Robot setup? I have the Kinu M47 and with the limitations of Robot techniques (I am not one to obfuscate the process, a steam heated basket is as far as I will go) I'm not sure how beneficial it will be. It could be a safety net for when I get temperature-stable gear in the future but I honestly haven't much of a desire to go beyond my Robot.

Londinium Compact, maybe Argos, those are the only things I find interesting that are on the way. Regarding grinders, I'd likely opt for a Kafatek but... Kafatek + Robot seems to be overkill. I had seen a post saying something similar, but I don't know if there are others out there that feel the opposite.

I have become so accustomed to manual gear that I can never land on where to go next. Perhaps I should be looking into convenient piston preheating techniques rather than new gear... But flat burrs have always called my name.

(sorry if this is seen/felt as a "Buying Advice" thread but I really didn't feel like it warranted its own thread and could be easily discussed here)

Balthazar_B

#3900: Post by Balthazar_B »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:Does anyone regret, or not feel as enthusiastic, about purchasing a mid-higher end grinder for their Robot setup? I have the Kinu M47 and with the limitations of Robot techniques (I am not one to obfuscate the process, a steam heated basket is as far as I will go) I'm not sure how beneficial it will be. It could be a safety net for when I get temperature-stable gear in the future but I honestly haven't much of a desire to go beyond my Robot.
While I didn't purchase my Kafatek for my Robot -- it was a few months later that I got in early on the Robot Kickstarter -- I'm very glad whenever I use it with the Robot (instead of my pretty good OE manual grinder during power outages). Likely you'll really appreciate it if you ever grind medium-light and/or hard beans, make coffee drinks for others, or want to eke out the best quality and controllability with your Robot -- which is really an excellent, capable machine in its own right.

FWIW, here's how I look at it. If I have the chance to get my Forever...Anything -- be it a grinder, coffee machine, gig, spouse, home -- I figure it's always better to do so earlier than later (given as time goes by, "forever" keeps diminishing). Pretty sure my Monolith will outlive me -- and perhaps a couple more generations -- and every day I feel a visceral joy getting to use it several times.
- John

LMWDP # 577