Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 389

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpender

#3881: Post by jpender »

But if it's clean then it's most likely the seal. For whatever reason my seals have lasted on average just a little under a year. In each case occasional hissing or water leaks become more frequent and more severe.

I've wondered why mine start failing after 11-12 months while others get years of use. What's the difference?

Nate42

#3882: Post by Nate42 replying to jpender »

I bet a big part of it is just luck. I don't feel like I did anything special to make my previous one last so long, and I've only been on my new one for a month or two now so it remains to be seen how lucky I will be with that one. I kept it clean, and I only very occasionally - like 3 or 4 times over more than 2 years - took it all the way off for a more thorough clean and lube.

Ken5

#3883: Post by Ken5 »

Thanks John, Nathan and Dave!

I made a shot this morning and I just noticed that it happens when releasing the pressure on the levers and not when lifting. I am guessing it does not happen during the shot as I am sure I would see water during the shot.

I have had the gasket off three times, and all within the last month or so. First time there was a lot of coffee on the gasket, other times not much if any. I did not use the lube though as the gasket was still quite sticky after the rinse and pressure is really good when using it. It takes a little while for the issue to come back again.

I think it is worth a try to lube it before chucking, if for nothing else to learn from what happens.

Nathan, you said you lube the whole gasket, inside too?

How many times does the single pouch of silicone last when using it for our gasket? Is it a single use?

Thanks again!

Ken

jpender

#3884: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:How many times does the single pouch of silicone last when using it for our gasket? Is it a single use?
Numerous times. I've used mine maybe 6-10 times on the seals and on something else as well and the little package still has about half the original contents. You just need a tiny bit, just a dab on your fingertip.

ojaw

#3885: Post by ojaw »

jpender wrote: I've wondered why mine start failing after 11-12 months while others get years of use. What's the difference?
I'll bet it has something to do with how dark the roast that you use is. My roasts are very old school Italian and I've never had issues with leakage.
Softer, darker roasted beans = easier pulls = less wear and tear.

Nate42

#3886: Post by Nate42 »

I lube it inside and out. He wasn't including the packet of lubricant yet when I got mine but if it's dow111 or equivalent a little goes a long way. Just squeeze out a small blob and rub it all over.

Ken5

#3887: Post by Ken5 »

Okay, found the packet of Dow 111 that came with the robot. Was a lot bigger than I remember it being when I first got the robot. Lifetime supply for me probably.

I put a small dot on my finger and rubbed it all over the gasket. Gasket looked wet/glossy/slimy, so I rubbed a little off. Still looked moist, slightly shiny/sticky. Maybe need to add a little back.

Do you guys mind it yours is visibly glossy? I figure that too much and it will coat the basket.

John, I still wonder if the gasket damage is happening because your gasket sits in the just off boiled water during preheating.

Ken

VoidedTea

#3888: Post by VoidedTea »

Ken5 wrote:Okay, found the packet of Dow 111 that came with the robot. Was a lot bigger than I remember it being when I first got the robot. Lifetime supply for me probably.

Ken
I bought mine in October 2020 and don't remember seeing any lubricant in the box or even reading about the need for lubricating the gasket in the user manual. Unfortunately can't find the little box with all supplies including spare gasket anymore, so can't check for the lubricant. Will have to keep looking, darn it. I only have one place where I put all little things like this, and for whatever reason it is not there.

My gasket is holding up so far but maybe I should look for that Dow111 just in case. I always preheat the piston with hot but not boiling water, which moistens the gasket. I shake the water cup gently when preheating to loosen up and wash off coffee grounds from the gasket and then use my fingers to clean it even more to the point until I don't feel any coffee grounds on the gasket. Only then I proceed with to the next step. I read that silicone expands quite a bit when heated, so preheating might help to create a tighter seal as well.

You said the lubricant is sticky. Wouldn't that result in more coffee grounds sticking to the gasket potentially causing more damage to it?

Ken5

#3889: Post by Ken5 »

VoidedTea wrote:You said the lubricant is sticky. Wouldn't that result in more coffee grounds sticking to the gasket potentially causing more damage to it?

I would think! Wish I made an effort to look at it when I was new.

I definitely rubbed too much off as it looked like there was no longer any on the gasket, so I just took it off and added more back. Will take a look in the morning to see if it still looks shiny/wet. Perhaps it absorbs a bit as it did not look as dry when I first put it on earlier tonight.

I got my robot about the same time, the last week in Sept '20. It is in a packet sort of like a ketchup packet from takeout. Saw the packets online for a buck or two.

Ken5

#3890: Post by Ken5 »

Just saw this response from Paul where he says he never feels the need to relube the gaskets, gives a few things to check if one is leaking:

Cafelat Robot piston seal life

Will check how it is seated next time it happens.